Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Water ingress into boot through seam beneath charge port

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guess I'm looking for another service centre appointment.

I have water ingress into the little cubby hole on the left of the boot. Just had all the boot lining pulled back to trace the source and as I suspected it's coming in through the charge port and then through the seam beneath it into the boot. Bums.
IMG_20191107_194109_1.jpg
IMG_20191107_194020.jpg
IMG_20191107_193940.jpg

I guess that's one of the risks of buying a car designed and built in a desert.
I imagine it will be a fairly easy fix though.
The worst part with water leaks is finding the source so you already did the hard part for them

Reactions: Roy W.
I guess that's one of the risks of buying a car designed and built in a desert.
I imagine it will be a fairly easy fix though.
The worst part with water leaks is finding the source so you already did the hard part for them
Hope so, can't be too hard. There must be somewhere the water is supposed to go when it gets inside the charge port!

PSA: Don’t look too hard at your Model 3s, they’re probably leaking somewhere...

I have had all the boot lining out today to clear out water from my charge port and boot lid leaks. There is also another leak in the space where the sub fits on the right hand side of the boot, not a serious one, just a drip. The lower section of the boot has holes that water could escape from but are plugged, so the thick insulating pad under the boot liner is waterlogged, I’ve got the entire liner inside to dry out.

I hope Tesla fix the main leaks for me in my Jan appointment, but I bet there are more.
18F6B0B6-9EC6-4308-8146-A5C997091610.jpeg
A66E141E-98AB-4CB6-A9C8-FAE9ACF60CFA.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: Flatchat
I am suspicious too of a leak but mine is a leaking roof! I notice it more when I wash the car with a hose pipe. I saw dampness staining on the trim around one of the seatbelt adjusters and noticed glints of moisture too. It's definitely not a torrent but occasionally the car suffers from faint misting inside and that always reminds me of previous cars I have owned that leaked. I bought a cheap moisture meter from Amazon and did some calibration tests to check that it worked, and it did, and sure enough it confirmed moisture in the carpet. Not much but other areas were completely dry. I'm monitoring the situation so as to be more conclusive. Despite all the rain I haven't noticed any more damp patches anywhere again as yet. I'm reluctant to play a hose on the area that I am suspicious about but I can see that the "rubber" seal between the roof glass is not laying consistently flat and there is a very small opening where the side and cross rubbers join. Any kind of leak is just what you don't need on a car in the UK.

Last edited:
I am suspicious too of a leak but mine is a leaking roof! I notice it more when I wash the car with a hose pipe. I saw dampness staining on the trim around one of the seatbelt adjusters and noticed glints of moisture too. It's definitely not a torrent but occasionally the car suffers from faint misting inside and that always reminds me of previous cars I have owned that leaked. I bought a cheap moisture meter from Amazon and did some calibration tests to check that it worked, and it did, and sure enough it confirmed moisture in the carpet. Not much but other areas were completely dry. I'm monitoring the situation so as to be more conclusive. Despite all the rain I haven't noticed any more damp patches anywhere again as yet. I'm reluctant to play a hose on the area that I am suspicious about but I can see that the "rubber" seal between the roof glass is not laying consistently flat and there is a very small opening where the side and cross rubbers join. Any kind of leak is just what you don't need on a car in the UK.

This might explain why some cars had moisture marks on the seats on collection