Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Water leaking from under glovebox in freezing conditions. Service center didn't do anything. Now what?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Several times when driving my Model Y in freezing conditions that require heavy heat, I noticed water occasionally leaking from under the glovebox. This water would travel from the gap behind the glovebox to under and over the all-weather mat. Doing some Googling, it appears this is likely excess water leaking from the HVAC.

I scheduled my car to get serviced, and they didn't have a date that was at least 2 weeks out. By then, the weather improved, and the issue was not as reproduceable. They took in my car for 5 days, giving me $500 of Uber credit as I waited. During that period, they claimed they ran water through the system and could not recreate the issue.

So they gave me back the car after 5 days, not doing anything preventative to resolve the issue. Now the weather has briefly approached freezing temperatures again, and I have encountered the water leak once more. I want the issue to get resolved, but I don't want to go through the negative experience of Tesla Service taking my car for several days not doing anything again. Any advice of what to do? I thought photo evidence and detailing the problem would be enough to justify a preventative solution. Sounds like it's been documented by other users when looking it up.

Attachments

• PXL_20220125_001211573.jpg
    PXL_20220125_001211573.jpg
    367.2 KB · Views: 257
I would be looking for an obstruction in the evaporator drain tube.
The Tesla Model Y does not have an evaporator drain tube. The condensate from the evaporator coils drains out the bottom of the cabin air filter housing. No drain tube to get clogged. The drain hole in the cabin air filter housing could be blocked by debris such as leaves. In Tesla Model Y with the BWD system (HEPA filter) this filter, housing should prevent and leaves or other debris from entering the cabin air filter housing.

Several times when driving my Model Y in freezing conditions that require heavy heat, I noticed water occasionally leaking from under the glovebox. This water would travel from the gap behind the glovebox to under and over the all-weather mat. Doing some Googling, it appears this is likely excess water leaking from the HVAC.

I scheduled my car to get serviced, and they didn't have a date that was at least 2 weeks out. By then, the weather improved, and the issue was not as reproduceable. They took in my car for 5 days, giving me $500 of Uber credit as I waited. During that period, they claimed they ran water through the system and could not recreate the issue.

So they gave me back the car after 5 days, not doing anything preventative to resolve the issue. Now the weather has briefly approached freezing temperatures again, and I have encountered the water leak once more. I want the issue to get resolved, but I don't want to go through the negative experience of Tesla Service taking my car for several days not doing anything again. Any advice of what to do? I thought photo evidence and detailing the problem would be enough to justify a preventative solution. Sounds like it's been documented by other users when looking it up.
This is a known problem by M3 and MY since years. Tesla has now answer!!! They are trying BS everyone. I am talking to some German friends in Germany - same problem! No answers as to how to get rid of it!!

Give Tesla 3 changes to fix this and document it! Then use the Lemmon law.

If anyone has found a solution - please post her !!!!

This is a known problem by M3 and MY since years. Tesla has now answer!!! They are trying BS everyone. I am talking to some German friends in Germany - same problem! No answers as to how to get rid of it!!

Give Tesla 3 changes to fix this and document it! Then use the Lemmon law.

If anyone has found a solution - please post her !!!!
from someone who doesn't even own a Tesla car.

from someone who doesn't even own a Tesla car.
Exactly. I am someone who is trying to buy one, and who had to reject the first delivery. The threats from Tesla towards me what would happen if I would not not accept this car as is are documented. I will post them when appropriate. Meanwhile, I think it is prudent that everyone who is even considering getting a Tesla, better educate him/herself before buying one. The problems with Tesla and their non existing service are well known. The water problem is one of those where Customer don’t even realize that they have problem.
Try to inspect your car before accepting it. Tesla will not even let you open the car for a pre- purchase inspection. It took me about 25 text message exchanges in order for them to do so.
Then they tried to tell me I can set a service appointment for the problems the car had. Problem: they were 2 months out to even schedule one.
I am inspecting and looking at Tesla for 2 years now. Drove a used M3 for a few months.

Hey I had a similar issue with water leaking after it rains or when I washed the car. They kept my 2002 Model Y for a few days and they successfully repaired the leak. It turns out it was coming from the area where the large air filter sits underneath the front frunk. They said it was known issue. They applied more adhesive to that area and now it has not leaked since. I live Pennsylvania and traveled to Springfield NJ for the service which was closer than going to the PA Tesla service location which by the way the NJ location has fantastic reviews so I was lucky to have them as a option. I hope this helps in getting your vehicle repaired properly. Good luck.

Reactions: nate704