Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My 2023 Model Y Now Lives @ Service Center

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s been a while since I’ve updated my experiences here on our new Model Y we picked up in Indianapolis. The first month was a glorious experience that made me grin ear to ear and I’ve been unsure how to approach the next update.

I’ll start by saying the title isn’t misleading. We are on day 10 of our vehicle being in the hands of service with no immediate timeframe. The issue I’ve encountered seems to be fairly unique and isn’t something a checklist would of helped with (so those keyboard warriors can take a bit of a pause) - however I’m glad we caught it when we did.

Two weeks ago while cleaning the car I noticed a large “ water stain” on the top of the cargo cover. This led to a service appointment to see if I had a “leak” or if it maybe discolored for other reasons. As usual the Indianapolis Service Center was on top of it and said they’d do a thorough inspection and water ingress test. I’d be without it for a few days.

Turns out, no leak that would cause the discoloration of the cargo cover, so they would just replace it. However they did notice that during the testing there was a sealant leak coming in at the lip of the tailight where it meets the molding - below where the spoiler would be. They said becuase of this they would estimate it taking 10 days at a local body shop for a fix.

The story then takes a bit of a turn after two attempts at said body shop the leak is still slightly present and I just received an update call (which I’m extremely blessed for) - although I’m starting to feel a bit depressed our guys at Indy are always extremely helpful and gracious on making sure we understand what is happening.

So now the car is going to basically live there as they are ordering an entirely new liftgate and starting over. Turns out I am “one of two vehicles” identical, with the exact same issue.

Fingers crossed but I thought my experience may be slightly similar to others who have dealt with extended stays. Luckily I’ve been given a loaner with free supercharging so although I miss my Model Y, I’m not without a vehicle (which I know others haven’t been so fortunate).

Read up on your State’s Lemon Law, in case you need it.
I’d hate that it would ever come to that, but we’ve documented everything and Indianapolis is trying it’s best to make it right.

If it goes beyond 30 business days (and I’m making payments on a car I don’t currently have in my possession) then I may sing a different tune. My patience is starting to run a tiny bit thin - but at least I have a loaner.

Reactions: ATPMSD
If the fix is to replace the lift gate, I think it comes down to availability of the body shop and the part. I had my lift gate replaced as part of repairs from getting rear-ended and waited a total of 3.5 months to have it repaired between waiting for body shop time and part to arrive. I was able to drive the car for the 2 months waiting for spot at body shop so it wasn’t quite as bad as it sounds.

I believe you will get an email with tracking once the lift gate is shipped from wherever it’s originating to the body shop. Once the lift gate arrives, it then comes down to when the body shop can work on it. If they can work on it right away, it shouldn’t take long. I did have one or two (not real sure) lift gates arrive damaged so that took extra time to get a good one. Hopefully they’ve improved the packaging to avoid transportation damage.

Reactions: Pianewman
smallindiana: Is there any reason why you don't have your car while awaiting parts? I would fight tooth and nail NOT to leave my car ANYWHERE while awaiting parts. It's just sitting there, right?

Do they know what's defective with the liftgate that would cause leakage? I don't understand. It sounds to me like they're throwing a new (expensive) part on the car, hoping for the best, hoping the paint matches.

smallindiana: Is there any reason why you don't have your car while awaiting parts? I would fight tooth and nail NOT to leave my car ANYWHERE while awaiting parts. It's just sitting there, right?

Do they know what's defective with the liftgate that would cause leakage? I don't understand. It sounds to me like they're throwing a new (expensive) part on the car, hoping for the best, hoping the paint matches.
I’ve had an interesting 8 hours.

I’m headed to go grab my car tonight. I’ll update everyone when I get back. It’s been a wild ride.

Yeps, about the same experience as mine. The gotcha is the exchange of services/hands. Tesla will likely contract a 3rd party to do the body work. I don't think there's a checklist or QC being done by Tesla after the work is done. They service a lot of cars that they will likely take the body shop's words and close the ticket once they get the car. Pretty sure I had my car at Tesla and their 3rd party body shop for close to 20+ days. Probably should have forced them to buy the car back in Nov/Dec at that point.

Wondering if you can share an update? Hope everything went well.

Keep us posted!!! what happened!!
Apologies my friends. I’ve been documenting a lot of the experience on my YouTube channel, and forget of the great community that’s been built here. So let’s get everyone up to speed.

Long story, but essentially my car was fixed, but due to an identical issue with another vehicle with the exact same specs there was a mishap in logging the issue in the computer correctly. Shortly after my last post I was notified to “pick up my car” and got a personal phone call from the service manager who apologized profusely.

I’ve had the car now for several weeks with no issue (other than the body shop - who did a poor job cleaning the vehicle. (Paint spray, caulk on the trunk cover, caulk on the back hatch.

I’m headed back in to get it replaced and cleaned up tomorrow. Hopefully I’m behind the issues.

Apologies my friends. I’ve been documenting a lot of the experience on my YouTube channel, and forget of the great community that’s been built here. So let’s get everyone up to speed.

Long story, but essentially my car was fixed, but due to an identical issue with another vehicle with the exact same specs there was a mishap in logging the issue in the computer correctly. Shortly after my last post I was notified to “pick up my car” and got a personal phone call from the service manager who apologized profusely.

I’ve had the car now for several weeks with no issue (other than the body shop - who did a poor job cleaning the vehicle. (Paint spray, caulk on the trunk cover, caulk on the back hatch.

I’m headed back in to get it replaced and cleaned up tomorrow. Hopefully I’m behind the issues.

Hello,

I keenly read through this thread. I am also in Indianapolis, with a damaged/dented liftgate that needs to be replaced. Glad to hear that the Indy SC is at least very customer service oriented despite all the mishaps.

I was wondering a couple of things:

1) So, if I understand the issue correctly, there was water ingress through the liftgate from the taillight area, is that correct?

2) Could you tell me the name of the body shop so I can avoid them should I need to pick one, haha?

3) Do you know if the Indy SC is itself capable of replacing the liftgate? I have heard SCs will often replace the bumper, and I think even the liftgate for you. Just wondering if those capabilities differ from SC to SC.

Thanks!!