Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Weak brakes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Though I rarely need to use the mechanical brakes to slow the car in most driving, occasionally I drive hard enough to need them, or I have to make an emergency stop that regen won't do alone. My car has just over 50k on the clock. I bought it a month ago from Tesla, so I do not know its service history.

The rotors don't feel warped - the brakes just feel mushy with no bite. I think the pads may be made of wood. I am planning to bleed the brakes, scuff the rotors, and re-bed the pads to start, but am also looking to see what people have done to improve the brakes. An aggressive pad is unlikely to be a good idea since I'd rarely get them warmed up before I really have to use them.

I was happy with Bosch Quietcast on my truck. They are available for the rear on the S, but not the front.

Though I rarely need to use the mechanical brakes to slow the car in most driving, occasionally I drive hard enough to need them, or I have to make an emergency stop that regen won't do alone. My car has just over 50k on the clock. I bought it a month ago from Tesla, so I do not know its service history.

The rotors don't feel warped - the brakes just feel mushy with no bite. I think the pads may be made of wood. I am planning to bleed the brakes, scuff the rotors, and re-bed the pads to start, but am also looking to see what people have done to improve the brakes. An aggressive pad is unlikely to be a good idea since I'd rarely get them warmed up before I really have to use them.

I was happy with Bosch Quietcast on my truck. They are available for the rear on the S, but not the front.
What year is your car?

It's a 2015 P85D (in my signature).
Oh sorry missed that. Humm, I was thinking you might have had the issue I had. My brakes used to feel like that - never drove a car with such crappy brakes... They then completely failed multiple times when it rained.

But I believe the dust shields/rotor shields were installed on your model year. Not sure how mechanically inclined you are -- but you might be able to tell by a quick visual. If you don't have these -- I'd be concerned.

Since Tesla installed the dust shields, rotor shields, and new brakes in 2017 -- my car stops amazing well.

If you mean the thin disc behind the rotor that curves out just a bit, then yes, I have them on all 4 wheels. The rotors feel just a touch scored. I know that this makes the brakes less efficient, but I've driven vehicles with rotors in worse condition and they had better brake feel.

The car does produce a crazy amount of brake dust for as little I use the brakes. I run Carbotech AX6 pads on my Miata and they are comparably dusty, but I use them all the time to stop the car.

The pads bind in the brembo calipers as the grease is washed away. Then the Pistons have to flex the pad to reach the rotor since the ends are bound up.
As the pads wear and the ends stay bound in the calipers the pad backer still wants to return to straight, this pushes the Pistons way back into the caliper creating a gap between the pad and rotor. This allows the rotors to stay dirty, get rusty and the begining of your pedal travel is used taking up that gap.

You can probably fix this with disassembly cleaning and lubrication. For the effort though I would put new pads in while at it.

If you mean the thin disc behind the rotor that curves out just a bit, then yes, I have them on all 4 wheels. The rotors feel just a touch scored. I know that this makes the brakes less efficient, but I've driven vehicles with rotors in worse condition and they had better brake feel.

The car does produce a crazy amount of brake dust for as little I use the brakes. I run Carbotech AX6 pads on my Miata and they are comparably dusty, but I use them all the time to stop the car.
Yep. Your good on that end then.

It's possible for the pad movement to corrode and become stuck, which will degrade braking performance. It can happen gradually, so you don't really notice. Especially in salty driving environments, that it's always a good idea to have the brake pads checked and lubed is needed on an annual basis.

My question is, what car or brakes r u comparing Tes against? I've had 5 Corvettes, these r different. This car weighs 5k pounds. My antique has a very different feel compared to a 2018. I had a 2018 loaner, I hated the brakes. Service center said they were electric, antiques have vaccum he said. I drive bare footed a lot, the 2018 was just too touchy, a toe slammed on the brakes.

Totally agree, I've had to make a few sudden stops. Everything ends up in front seat including 100 pound dog. It stops on a dime. Just feels different in city driving. Oh, it hates my 2 feet driving. Beeps at me every day. Getting out of my big SUV that I drive 2 footed, into Tes, causes a total brain change.

My other vehicles are an 07 Ridgeline and a 97 Miata with Wilwood 4 piston calipers. When I replaced the pads and rotors on the Ridgeline a couple years ago, it was very confidence inspiring. The pads were nothing special, some Bosch ceramics. My previous rotors were very scored and one of the rear pads had apparently been seized.

My car came from Chicago so I'm sure there is some corrosion. When I took the car to the SC this week, I asked them about the brakes and they said they didn't feel bad, but they would feel different from other cars. That's pretty much nonsense since the mechanical brakes are the same as other cars.

I AM able to engage the ABS on my car in a panic stop though, so I suppose the brakes are actually as powerful as they can be for my current tires (MXM4s). The pedal feel, however, is still very vague.

I sold my Ridgeline for the Model S. I went though and cleaned and greased the contact points when I got the car because I'm anal that way. I feel mine stops very well. Not Corvette well but that's 1000 pounds lighter. In freeway panic stops it sheds speed faster than most cars I've owned.