Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Weak wifi signal, can't update, won't accept password now

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had my car since December and have never had an issue getting the updates over wifi while parked in my driveway in front of my detached garage. For this most recent update the wifi signal seems oddly weak and when it asks for my password, it repeatedly tells me the password is incorrect! Very odd as my password has not changed.Could this be related to the signal strength? Anyone else have this issue? Even drove by local Starbucks with the car and the message says "cannot accommodate two step verification for Starbucks"
This really sucks! May have to get signal booster for my wifi?

When you temporarily create a hotspot via your smartphone will the car connect to that? Then at least you know the WiFi functionality of the car (in basic) is working properly. And did anything change on your home network? You mentioned all worked fine from the beginning, but this forum shows that even simple changes might disrupt the car connecting to it. I don’t know what home network equipment you have and to what extend you have specifically configured it to identify the devices that connect to it, but I have and that allows for much easier troubleshooting.

When you temporarily create a hotspot via your smartphone will the car connect to that? Then at least you know the WiFi functionality of the car (in basic) is working properly. And did anything change on your home network? You mentioned all worked fine from the beginning, but this forum shows that even simple changes might disrupt the car connecting to it. I don’t know what home network equipment you have and to what extend you have specifically configured it to identify the devices that connect to it, but I have and that allows for much easier troubleshooting.
Connecting with hotspot on my phone did the job ! Thanks very much.

Reactions: Vawlkus
Connecting with hotspot on my phone did the job ! Thanks very much

Great to hear, but that doesn’t fix your problem with connecting to your home network does it? At least you’ve been able to narrow down some of the troubleshooting. You could indeed reboot your Router/Modem like @mrElbe suggests or try to remember what might have changed on your home network. Good luck!

I had the same issue when updating Friday night, tried scooting a bit farther into the driveway (closer to the router) and no dice. Same thing happened Saturday night so I did the two button steering wheel reset and all was well again :) See if that works for you in the future if it happens again.

Happy Driving!

Update:
Purchased Eero wifi signal booster kit. Signal is now super strong in driveway and all parts of my yard! Amazing transformation , highly recommended to anyone who wants to get a stronger signal in the house and yard.