Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Web browser showing WebRTC video

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
how did you do that? what is the website/what else can you watch on the new browser?

It is a videoconferencing service. I sent the video into the meeting from another call from my Desktop PC.
So, I can send in whatever video I want. Normally it would be a camera view, but I used a "virtual camera" to send in a video clip instead.
The video was coming to the car over the internet, not from within the car.
Also, not super useful since the car browser (apparently) lacks sound playback, so it was video without sound.

It is a videoconferencing service. I sent the video into the meeting from another call from my Desktop PC.
So, I can send in whatever video I want. Normally it would be a camera view, but I used a "virtual camera" to send in a video clip instead.
Also, not super useful since the car browser (apparently) lacks sound playback, so it was video without sound.

Progress. Surface Pro on the center screen is getting old. (Made it so it doesn't scratch) Sound is pretty sweet though.
20181009_192929.jpg

Reactions: Matan.Mazursky
Only cool if the watcher/participant is not driving. Otherwise it's a menace
No, it's definitely cool. How 'bout we just be adults and decide what is safe and what isn't w/o some corporation protecting the stupid among us from themselves? I don't need some nanny car manufacturer to tell me how to live me life and stripping my car of functionality to help keep idiots alive.

No, it's definitely cool. How 'bout we just be adults and decide what is safe and what isn't w/o some corporation protecting the stupid among us from themselves? I don't need some nanny car manufacturer to tell me how to live me life and stripping my car of functionality to help keep idiots alive.

Fully subscribe to this point of view (hands-free autopilot anyone?), leave this to natural selection...

The only problem is that the dying idiot might hit you too...

Because I do not trust the stupid among us to not endanger me.
So THIS is the hill you choose to die on fighting for your safety? What about alcohol? Mobile phones? Navigation systems? Make-up? Newspapers? Road signs? Billboards?

I could go on but I think you get the point.

When your driving, or even alive for that matter, it's dangerous. As long as the alternative is an option being alive is always dangerous. This idea that we need to take away all features in a single manufacturer's car to somehow make the world a better place is beyond ignorant.

Reactions: tono and Quinndo

I tried this myself and have not been able to replicate the quality you are getting. I tried using Zoom and had large lag and the video was choppy. I will try writing my own webrtc and using a good wifi and see if I can get it to be high quality.

Last edited:
This idea that we need to take away all features in a single manufacturer's car to somehow make the world a better place is beyond ignorant.

The lack of video capability in the browser is primarily to cover Tesla’s own ass. If someone caused a fatal car crash because they were watching a movie on the main display in a Model 3 and not paying attention to the road it’s basically guaranteed that someone would sue Tesla about it.

I look forward to when we are able to watch videos on the screen while parked, but until FSD is truly here and we can safely take our eyes off the road there is no way I would ever want anyone (including myself) to be able to watch videos on the main display while driving.

What do you use for virtual camera?

In this case, I used something called "SplitCam" on the PC sending video into the meeting.

Note, WebRTC in the car saw a whole bunch of actual cameras, but I could get not video to capture from any of them. I think the car computer may see all the autopilot/dashcam/sentry cameras but they are all in use or blocked from use by the web browser. I tried plugging in a USB camera to the car and it wasn't able to use that either.

Note, the WebRTC video works over LTE, so you can watch a videoconference while driving. I am not sure if they realized this would be possible when they released this browser update. It wouldn't surprise me if they decide to disable it in a future update.

• Informative
Reactions: PoitNarf
The lack of video capability in the browser is primarily to cover Tesla’s own ass. If someone caused a fatal car crash because they were watching a movie on the main display in a Model 3 and not paying attention to the road it’s basically guaranteed that someone would sue Tesla about it.

I look forward to when we are able to watch videos on the screen while parked, but until FSD is truly here and we can safely take our eyes off the road there is no way I would ever want anyone (including myself) to be able to watch videos on the main display while driving.
The same thing can be said for the browser but that's live while in motion. There's passengers in the car too who can interact with the infotainment unit so video display would fall into the same category.

May be, we can stream local file from laptop/tablet in the car, and play audio via Bluetooth (as long as latency is not too much). Not sure about Wifi while car is driving if that would be active or not.