Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Web Browser Useless

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You don't see it like this?
ssl.png

I had to move the site over to AWS, so I rewrote much of it and simplified it. Now, you can either log-in directly with your Tesla credentials (which are only proxied to Tesla, not stored), or you can paste-in an API key as a login. The key gets stored in the browser for access to Tesla. Unfortunately, they do not support CORS, so the data needs to pass through my proxy, but that's about it.
Working on headlight controls next.

Hello All,
I've used the browser in an S plenty and it was, as we all know, slow and outdated. That being said, I figured the new web in the 3 would be upgraded or at least the same as the S. It is much worse. I tried on multiple pages and typing a character on the keyboard took 5-10 seconds to input into the browser. Besides the delay, it was as outdated it seemed as the S. In it's current form it is useless.

I assume this is typical of v9 fleet wide? Wanted to hear what others are seeing.

Thanks!
What happens if you bring up Sketch Pad and/or turn off Traffic in Maps (due to software but in Maps that causes Traffic to update 1,000 times as much as the programmer intended, bad software testing)?

Sounds like it might still be caching some of the old template. Also, can you try logging out and re-logging back in?
I logged in and out and now I’m just getting a 408 message and nothing is loading.

I’m doing this on my iPad though - not on my Tesla or on a desktop where I can help debug more usefully. I’m mid-road-trip so I can do something more useful when I’m back home on my desktop - but in the morning I’ll try this on the actual car browser (it’s a pain because I generated a 32 char long password for my Tesla account and typing all of that in on my car is tedious).

The most annoying thing about my model S is that the web browser is useless. Last year it did work but now it is usually almost completely frozen. After a two button reset it will work at dial up speeds.

I have called support twice and had two service centers look at it with no results other than I can restore it to snail mode with a two button reset. At home on my fast WiFi it is extremely slow if not frozen. On the extremely strong (tower in sight) AT&T three bar LTE it is worse. This morning just after a two button reset speedtest.net never started the test after waiting 10 minutes, so I reset it again. Next time after 5 minutes it started the test but never completed so I refreshed and tried again, same thing.

A blank Google page takes 1:30 but the Tesla page loads in ~30 sec. Is this normal???; please comment.

I have read that Tesla is putting the web requests through their proxy server and I think they have the bandwidth severely limited to save on the AT&T charges. I wish they would just let me pay to make it work, if that is the case. I understand in Europe you can pay for upgraded Internet access. I think they are limiting access because the Google maps and the music streaming work OK so it is not a cellular speed issue.

Perhaps if most of the people here that have written 2200 posts on this problem would call Tesla support perhaps Elon would listen and fix it. I will call them now.

I logged in and out and now I’m just getting a 408 message and nothing is loading.

I’m doing this on my iPad though - not on my Tesla or on a desktop where I can help debug more usefully. I’m mid-road-trip so I can do something more useful when I’m back home on my desktop - but in the morning I’ll try this on the actual car browser (it’s a pain because I generated a 32 char long password for my Tesla account and typing all of that in on my car is tedious).
No doubt! What about e-mailing it to a web-based provider like G-Mail and then doing a copy/paste?

408 means that your car is asleep. You can wake it with the Tesla app and try again. Since you are "supposed" to use in in the car, this shouldn't happen :)

We have the same problem in Europe. My MX 2017 browser is useless. Numerous efforts in trying to explain the problem at Tesla have been, too. Changing SIM, restarting the system, changing to my Swisscom provider's hotspot, etc. did not do any good.
I assume, not the SIM or anything else is responsible but the poor computing power. Needless to say that although Tesla is aware of this problem since years it could not offer any solution.