Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Weekly ONR Wash + OptiSeal Will Mean I Don't Need To Buy Mudflaps?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm asking because before buying the car I was so worried about buying mudflaps. To those that don't have them, after a few years is your car all messed up from not having them? Paint chipping off the side skirts? Rust?

Possibly they are not necessary as long as you stay on top of washing the car weekly?

I drive conservatively in the Midwest, not off-roading or racing etc. But I do see salt on the roads.

I'm speaking to the people that don't have perfect weather all year.

how does washing the car help against the tires tossing rocks at the rocker panels?

This thread is exactly why we keep getting people who think they can ceramic coat their car instead of ppf and get the same result.

BTW if you get mud guards, do yourself a favor and buy some bulk 3m ppf and cut it up so you attach the mud guard against the ppf. It will prevent the mud guards from rubbing away at your paint. They will bounce around to some degree. And dirt can get between it and the car.

how does washing the car help against the tires tossing rocks at the rocker panels?

This thread is exactly why we keep getting people who think they can ceramic coat their car instead of ppf and get the same result.

BTW if you get mud guards, do yourself a favor and buy some bulk 3m ppf and cut it up so you attach the mud guard against the ppf. It will prevent the mud guards from rubbing away at your paint. They will bounce around to some degree. And dirt can get between it and the car.

The reason why people think that is because there is no definitive guide that explains everything. You have to google and read countless opinions and anecdotes. Very few things in the detailing world seem unanimous.

I am on board with getting mud flaps but two things come to mind.

1.) If this was truly an issue, why don't a higher percentage of Tesla owners have them?
2.) Why doesn't anyone out of China make a quality product that doesn't vibrate and rub against your paint?

I've spent probably 5-10 hours researching mudflaps and the best ones are Rally Armor. BUT, they are too expensive and I don't want their branding on the flap. Why doesn't someone in China buy RA ones, measure them, and copy the product for $50 shipped? It's maybe $5 in materials.

I also can't see the connection between car washing and rocks and sand from freshly sanded roads after a snowfall blasting into the paint at 60 mph.

We put PPF on the lower part of the car, the bumper, door sills and trunk sill. We also made sure the PPF covered the paint that the mud flaps were attached over.

We got the drill less mud flaps from RPM. If you are in Canada expect to have to pay brokerage. They have more of a three dimensional look so we liked them a little better. They work VERY WELL and even after driving around in slushy snow the side of the car is fairly clean.

Obligatory pics. Two close up and two further away.

50716164392_e80aca0473_c.jpg

50715347933_708a2c8184_c.jpg

50711223276_d82b9dae48_c.jpg

50710641821_d70de05229_c.jpg