Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Weird issue with door handles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car has a weird door handle issue that I haven’t found anywhere else in my search. I hope someone can shed light on this.

My drivers side rear door opens with no difficulty. The handles present and no issues. However whenever the front driver door is open then the rear doesn’t work. The handles present but when you pull on the handle the window drops an inch and nothing happens.

As soon as the front door is closed the rear door starts working fine again. Has anyone else experienced this? Car is out of warranty. It almost seems like some weird software bug.

Not exactly the same issue as yours but related: sometimes with the leftside rear handle when it is presented, and then pulling on it doesn't open the door, but causes it to retract, and then extend again, and then pulling on it again the door opens fine. I never thought that is only when the front door is open, but I think that is the case. I don't recall the rear door not working properly when it is the first door that is opened. Not a problem enough for me to get a new handle but it has been doing this for about a year and a half; I didn't think it would still be working at this point.

Long shot I guess, if I recall some setting buried in there where you can have ONLY the driver door present or unlock or something to that effect. It was a safety feature I thin’ for people or ladies at night not wanting the car to unlock completely. what about cycling that off and back on etc...?
Long shot but it’s all I got

Long shot I guess, if I recall some setting buried in there where you can have ONLY the driver door present or unlock or something to that effect. It was a safety feature I thin’ for people or ladies at night not wanting the car to unlock completely. what about cycling that off and back on etc...?
Long shot but it’s all I got
That's was a great idea. But just tried but didn't work (didn't even know that was a setting). Strangely, I noticed after the factory reset, my Bluetooth connection profile was still there and I didn't need to re-pair. Is this right? Maybe the reset isn't really a full reset.

Tesla Service wants to charge $875 to fix this (I'm one month past by warranty expiration). I think I will pass. The estimate includes replacing the front controller and harness. So they would not doing anything with the rear door.

Tesla Service wants to charge $875 to fix this (I'm one month past by warranty expiration). I think I will pass. The estimate includes replacing the front controller and harness. So they would not doing anything with the rear door.

When did you first report the problem? If before the warranty expiration, they may still do it.

I reported it just a month after warranty expiration. Bad timing. Not sure what exactly the front door controller does and how that affects the opening of the rear door.
dont have that exact issue, but my rear driver side door will occasionally have this behavior.
door handle is out, I pull on it, it goes back in and pinches my hand, then it comes out, and goes back in.
It drives me nuts, and in addition it hurts my fingers.