Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Weird Locked Car Situation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I apologize if this has been discussed, but my parents had a weird locked car situation and I would like to hear other Model 3 owners thoughts (I gave my 1st day reservation to my parents when I pulled the trigger on a MX - just couldn’t wait - LOL).

While my Mom was putting groceries in the M3 trunk, she left her phone (only key she had that day) on the front seat. Apparently after she unlocked the car and while she was placing her phone the passenger car seat, she accidentally switched the Telsa App from one M3 to a second M3 they own (yea, they loved their first one so much, 3 months later they bought another). I am unclear on how long she was loading groceries into the trunk, but let’s just assume it was long enough that the car no longer “saw” a key anywhere (remember, the Telsa App was now switched over to the other M3). The car locked (later, it was discovered that the car’s trunk was still open, but more on that below). She could not get in the car (and she thinks - bear with me as I was not there - the trunk was still open). Apparently the trunks on the M3s are not easy to shut?

She called my Dad, who unlocked the car with the Telsa App. When he did that, it told him that a “door” was open. She was then able to get in the car and realized (after a few frustrating moments) that she had accidentally switched the Telsa App from one M3 to the other M3 they own.

1. In my MX, if one of my doors is open (or my trunk (hatch back)), none of the doors will lock. Is that the same with the M3? Or does the trunk operate differently - even though it is open, the car will lock automatically when it does not sense a key around?

2. Any have any work arounds or solutions to keep from being locked out (other than keeping your phone/key/card on you)? I think that if she had the fob or card, the car would not have locked while she was putting groceries in the trunk.

3. Tricks on shutting the Telsa trunk?

Thanks for helping out.

1. I have heard of women putting their pocketbook in the front seat and before they could put a kid in a back car seat and get back to the driver door, it locked. From what I understand, if a door is unlocked and a key is not detected in 2 minutes, the doors will re-lock. I have not heard of this with the trunk open.

2. None other than keeping the key card on you for backup.

3. Nine that I know of.

1. I have heard of women putting their pocketbook in the front seat and before they could put a kid in a back car seat and get back to the driver door, it locked

Had something similar happen to me once. Threw my purse in the passenger seat and closed the door. Walked around to the driver door and the car had locked. With my phone inside. Luckily I was at home at the time so could just grab another device to unlock.

I have since turned off walk away lock and lock the car using the fob exclusively now.

Reactions: jdcollins5
Had something similar happen to me once. Threw my purse in the passenger seat and closed the door. Walked around to the driver door and the car had locked. With my phone inside. Luckily I was at home at the time so could just grab another device to unlock.

I have since turned off walk away lock and lock the car using the fob exclusively now.
This just happened to my wife: placed her purse containing phone (and key card) on passenger seat (unlocking car in the process). Walks around car to driver side, but car locks itself before she opens the drivers door. Luckily she was in the garage and at home, otherwise would have been hard to get a hold of me to remotely unlock since she no longer had access to her phone.