Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Weird noise from Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently took delivery of a 2023 Model Y Performance. I have around 1500k miles on it. I recently started getting a grinding noise, which appears to be coming from one of the tires and is only noticable when my window is rolled down.

Does anyone know what could be causing this grinding noise?

I've already booked a service appointment, but its not for another 2 weeks (earliest vailable appointment).

Seeing this post a lot lately. This should almost be stickied for the brand new MYP owners...

It's the barcode sticker on your tire, squeaking against the wheel when it rotates past that point. The tires need to be removed and the barcode sanded off with an air tool for a true fix. I doubt they'll offer to do that.

In my avatar pic you can see a barcode sticker at the 6 o'clock position of the tire bead. Eventually the noise will go away after thousands of miles. Maybe 5k. Mine doesn't do it anymore at 7000mi.

Last edited:
Just wanted to give an update on the situation. I had the car serviced today at a local service center. The technician first tried burnishing the brakes, which reduced the noise a little. The technician then unmounted the front driver side tire and stated that the barcode sticker was in fact what was causing the noise. In the end, problem was resolved. The local service center was great responding to my text messages and keeping me up to date.

Just wanted to give an update on the situation. I had the car serviced today at a local service center. The technician first tried burnishing the brakes, which reduced the noise a little. The technician then unmounted the front driver side tire and stated that the barcode sticker was in fact what was causing the noise. In the end, problem was resolved. The local service center was great responding to my text messages and keeping me up to date.
I have the same noise issue with my MYP that was delivered in Feb 2023 as the videos that are posted in this thread.

Can you post pictures of the barcode sticker on the tires is making this noise? I would rather take the barcode off myself instead of taking it to the SC.

As a follow up.......wife took the car for the scheduled service at Fife, WA for tire/wheel noise issue. "Couldn't replicate the issue" was the response. This was of course after they viewed the multiple videos clearly highlighting a problem. The "technician" claimed he couldn't "hear it on the freeway". Well no duh, Sherlock. After convincing him he needed to listen with window down and from a smooth start in a parking lot, he claimed "the allowed time for discovery was over & that they would need to keep it until tomorrow for further diagnosis". They offered my wife uber credits that would not even pay for getting her home one way. Claimed loaner cars were only available when needing to keep the car for two or more days. After getting them to further say "nothing was wrong with the vehicle as far as they could discover", she told them she would just keep driving the car until the "problem properly presented itself" to this clan of idiots. She drove the car home. Noise still present to this day.

Just to clarify...….we could have bought any vehicle we wanted. We chose a Tesla. "Only" spent $68k. We believed in the product & company behind it. To be told there is no issue when one is clearly at hand is absolutely negligent.

I can report that what fiehlsport posted was corroborated by my local service center. I've had the exact same tire noise as the OP for about 6 weeks, and since my spoiler was also coming loose, I took my vehicle in on Friday for service. The first tech had no experience with the issue and couldn't replicate the noise until he let me drive it with him. We rolled slowly past an exterior wall and you could hear it reverb back with the windows down. Once he got it in the shop he found another tech who had seen the issue. That tech spoke to me and said he'd only seen it on the 21 inch tires for some reason. He pointed out the exact same bar code and said he believed that the rim protection rubber ridge on the tire was channeling oil or grease( he specifically mentioned tire shine) to the bead point and that sticker. They removed the tire and cleaned it and the rim with degreaser. It's gone now but he said it would probably come back until the sticker wears away.