Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model Y Noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up a MYLR two days ago and I am noticing some weird whining noise from the motor when driving 20-40mph. This sound does not appear to normal according to the normal operating noises page on the Tesla website. I posted a clip on YouTube which you can listen to below (I recommend headphones as the sound is faint but more noticeable in person.

Has any one experienced this issue on their Model Y? If so, what was the resolution?

Reactions: Sai Ko
FYI: I'm at 48k miles, 2021 MYLR Dual Motor. Over the past 34 months, I have noticed occasional humming/whirring/whistling sounds from the drivetrains (there are 2, aren't there?) of my car. None of these humming/whirring/whistling sounds were alarming, as they seemed consistent with sounds we all hear from electrical motors.

The only way to determine if your sound is indicating a problem is to drive another model and compare.

Reactions: Chewy13
Two week old MYLR Fremont build here. Similar very faint high frequency whine at same speeds. I may drive a demo with same specs to compare. Several threads on this. I could live with it if normal. Otherwise vehicle is rock solid quiet and well planted when driving. Reminds me of my 1996 Saab 9000 Aero in drive quality. That is, very European like, holds the road like velcro.

Two week old MYLR Fremont build here. Similar very faint high frequency whine at same speeds. I may drive a demo with same specs to compare. Several threads on this. I could live with it if normal. Otherwise vehicle is rock solid quiet and well planted when driving. Reminds me of my 1996 Saab 9000 Aero in drive quality. That is, very European like, holds the road like velcro.
Two week old build from Fremont as well. Reading a lot of a possible loose ground strap. I’m taking it in on Friday, will keep you posted on the resolution.

Sounds like the electrical motor to me.

While Driving​

High-Pitched Whining Noise while Accelerating
When you press the accelerator pedal, you may hear a high-pitched noise in the cabin. This is the sound of your vehicle accelerating. Because electric vehicles are so quiet, this sound may be more apparent while driving.

Reactions: Silicon Desert
Sounds like the electrical motor to me.

While Driving​

High-Pitched Whining Noise while Accelerating
When you press the accelerator pedal, you may hear a high-pitched noise in the cabin. This is the sound of your vehicle accelerating. Because electric vehicles are so quiet, this sound may be more apparent while driving.
I'm trying to envision a hundred years ago when new car owners transitioned from horses to cars if they wondered what that mechanical noise was coming from under the hood. :)

I'm trying to envision a hundred years ago when new car owners transitioned from horses to cars if they wondered what that mechanical noise was coming from under the hood. :)
Yeah, that’s not what happened here. I took the car to Tesla service and they confirmed it’s not a normal noise.

Anyway, an update: Tesla confirmed noise wasn’t normal, they tried tightening ground straps which didn’t seem to help, and now they’re holding the car further to do some additional diagnostics.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Update:

The Tesla SC rep told me that the noise is coming from the front drive unit and that it will have to be replaced. Unfortunately, they require approval from Tesla (HQ?) to perform the repair and have to wait until Monday to get it.

To say I’m disappointed is an understatement—the car is barely 3 weeks old, manufactured 10/02. This is my first brand new car I’ve ever bought and my excitement over it has turned into deep disappointment.

I’ll post more updates when I have them.

Dexion: I think we can all relate to your disappointment, but the good news is that the SC agrees with YOU that the sound isn't normal, and are willing to replace the drive unit.
AFAIK, replacement of the drive unit isn't all that complicated, so you should be good to go. ;)

+1 that they didn't just send you on your way and say it's within spec. They're actually willing to listen, and fix something for you - which hasn't been my experience.

Reactions: cwhite51 and Dexion
UPDATE:
The Tesla SC replaced the front drive unit and I can confirm that I am no longer hearing the sound at all. None whatsoever. :)
I would encourage any of you experiencing this issue to take it in to your local SC and insist on a resolution--as @Chewy13 & @Pianewman mentioned, I was fortunate in that the SC tech acknowledged my concern. I think what helped in my case was that the SC tech himself suggested we drive another Model Y with the same exact trim to compare sounds. When we drove the other Model Y, it was completely silent in comparison. At that point, the tech was convinced something was abnormal.

Thanks again for the encouragement and I hope everyone experiencing a similar issue has it resolved just as amicably. Shoutout to the great SC techs in Naperville, IL.

Rear whine FIXED! Replaced the rear drive unit, coolant flush, and an alignment! Took three days (and one snowstorm). Jeez! Hope they can recycle that drive unit.

There was a door rattle that they fixed just by taking the panel off and on. There was also a very faint, but annoying flicker from the HVAC. The tech thought it was a sticker flapping in the wind. He warned that taking the dash apart to find it might make a new rattle. I believed him and the sound seems to have mostly dissipated.

Rear whine FIXED! Replaced the rear drive unit, coolant flush, and an alignment! Took three days (and one snowstorm). Jeez! Hope they can recycle that drive unit.

There was a door rattle that they fixed just by taking the panel off and on. There was also a very faint, but annoying flicker from the HVAC. The tech thought it was a sticker flapping in the wind. He warned that taking the dash apart to find it might make a new rattle. I believed him and the sound seems to have mostly dissipated.
I have rear motor whine noise as well. Noise is noticeable mostly at 60 mph with accelerator pressed slightly to maintain the speed. Noise goes away once release accelerator. Noise is very irritating! I took out all of the covers out in the back and drove around and whine was noticeable and ever present at all speeds.

This noise was not there during first three months of ownership . I’ve taken car in x3 and I’m always told during test drive that it is normal and I should feel lucky because some cars have an even louder whine.

I’m wondering if your noise problem is same as mine and I should continue to press for rear motor replacement . Any suggestions and advice to get this fixed based on your experience?

I have rear motor whine noise as well. Noise is noticeable mostly at 60 mph with accelerator pressed slightly to maintain the speed. Noise goes away once release accelerator. Noise is very irritating! I took out all of the covers out in the back and drove around and whine was noticeable and ever present at all speeds.

This noise was not there during first three months of ownership . I’ve taken car in x3 and I’m always told during test drive that it is normal and I should feel lucky because some cars have an even louder whine.

I’m wondering if your noise problem is same as mine and I should continue to press for rear motor replacement . Any suggestions and advice to get this fixed based on your experience?
Our noise was there off the lot and you could hear it at any speed. They told me it was normal at first, but I just insisted they get a second opinion from another tech. I'd also tell them you are reading online that they can submit to "headquarters" for permission to replace the rear drive unit.

Good luck.