Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Weird smell after rain or car wash?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My model Y has a weird smell for 30 seconds to 2 minutes after I wash it or I drive it in the rain. I have read the posts about the mold problem on the model 3s, and this doesn’t seem to be the same thing. Should I be worried? It’s not really a big issue right now, will it get worst?

I noticed this recently, only one time. This was right after it had been raining for two days. Also, the leaves have been falling so there is a chance that leaf material fell into the air intake for the HVAC system. I turned up the temperature on the climate control a few degrees to hopefully help dry out any moisture in the HVAC system. The odor has not returned.

I noticed this recently, only one time. This was right after it had been raining for two days. Also, the leaves have been falling so there is a chance that leaf material fell into the air intake for the HVAC system. I turned up the temperature on the climate control a few degrees to hopefully help dry out any moisture in the HVAC system. The odor has not returned.
Ok, I need to check to leaves.

My model Y has a weird smell for 30 seconds to 2 minutes after I wash it or I drive it in the rain. I have read the posts about the mold problem on the model 3s, and this doesn’t seem to be the same thing. Should I be worried? It’s not really a big issue right now, will it get worst?
Just got back in the Y. Is raining for the first time in month. Very chemical off gassing smell dissipated with AC. Will see if it is back in a second when I go back out.

The AC desiccant bag is installed in-line within the AC system. The desiccant bag removes moisture from within the AC compressor, compressor lines, not exposed to the outside air.

If you normally have the Tesla climate control system set to Recirculate Cabin Air ON try turning this off after you finish driving. Allowing fresh air into the cabin may help dry off the evaporator coil. The Voice Commands are "Recirculate Cabin Air" and "Fresh Air." After parking the Tesla vehicle will run the HVAC blower fan for 20 minutes to help dry the evaporator coil. This After Blow function is intended to reduce the growth of mold and mildew on the evaporator coils.

If your HVAC system is not dripping water most of the time, especially after driving then the condensate drain line may be clogged. If you can see where the condesate is dripping and can locate the drain line you may be able to snake a small wire into the condensate line to clear the clog. (On my Model Y I notice that the condensate (water) drips from an area just behind the left front wheel. I have not tried to locate the drain line underneath the vehicle. (The aero covers beneath the Tesla vehicle may make it difficult to locate the drain line..)

If the odor persists then the next step would be to change the cabin air filters, use an automotive AC coil cleaner product specifically formulated to clean, deodorize the evaporator coils.

Last edited: