Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Western Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is not Tesla's choice - it is the local site owner's choice.
Oh, l find it rather hard to believe that Tesla didn't have a say on the signage. It is hard to imagine that Tesla would spend $100k+ on a supercharger site and then just leave it up to the site owner to decide whether or not to allow Tesla vehicles to actually use the supercharger, because, that's what it comes down to if Tesla doesn't have a choice. There will have been a negotiation followed by a contract that Tesla will have agreed to. If Tesla wanted to restrict parking to active charging only, they could have, it just would likely cost Tesla more, or they might have had to find a different site. Definitely Tesla's choice

Oh, l find it rather hard to believe that Tesla didn't have a say on the signage. It is hard to imagine that Tesla would spend $100k+ on a supercharger site and then just leave it up to the site owner to decide whether or not to allow Tesla vehicles to actually use the supercharger, because, that's what it comes down to if Tesla doesn't have a choice. There will have been a negotiation followed by a contract that Tesla will have agreed to. If Tesla wanted to restrict parking to active charging only, they could have, it just would likely cost Tesla more, or they might have had to find a different site. Definitely Tesla's choice

I don't think Tesla has infinite sites to choose from. Of course it's a negotiation, but it sounds like they're trying to come to a reasonable compromise. Parking spots do cost money - in fact the number of parking spots available often limits how large a building you can put on the property (here in Ottawa there's a formula, based on the zoning, for how many parking spots per 1000 sq ft). In some cases it might not even be possible to restrict all the parking spots.

I've only driven around that Best Western parking lot twice but both times there were tons of empty spaces. Plus, this is around back so it doesn't seem that someone just pulling into the hotel would park in them. I also expect that if the odd ICE happens to park in one, there will be plenty of free ones. If it's anything like Hope, you're lucky to see one other person unless it's a weekend. I still maintain these are the glory days of EV public charging and it won't be long until that changes.

I've only driven around that Best Western parking lot twice but both times there were tons of empty spaces. Plus, this is around back so it doesn't seem that someone just pulling into the hotel would park in them. I also expect that if the odd ICE happens to park in one, there will be plenty of free ones. If it's anything like Hope, you're lucky to see one other person unless it's a weekend. I still maintain these are the glory days of EV public charging and it won't be long until that changes.

When it comes to the interior, especially the Okanagan, I think it is a classic 'build it, and they will come'. I suspect that once Merritt is supercharged, more Tesla's will make the trip to Kelowna. I recently drove down to Moab, UT then back through CA and the comfort of having those Supercharge stations took away any concern...it was a brilliant trip in many respects.

Regarding the Best Western in Kelowna, I've seen that parking lot very full on a number of occasions...especially in the summer, so the variable signage on those stalls is a bit of a worry. Either way, I'm happy it's finally being built...even though I do agree that West Kelowna would have been a much better strategic location (they even have a Best Western there).

I also believe that the take up of EVs is going to skyrocket over the next 7 years, meaning that all these current supercharge stations will end up being little boutique charge spots as (I hope) a more collaborated effort among EV producers will see much larger supercharge stations implemented in many more locations...and yes, I agree...there will likely be a small fee.

I added a few km's of charge with the HPWC at the Best Western yesterday and took the time to walk around the building in the pouring rain. The units are not yet operational as you'd guess. However, peeking into the 'compound', what I could see suggested that the electrical components are all in place. When I spoke to the front desk, they told me they had expected it to be operational on the 15th, but clearly that date had slipped. As well, a comment was made about sorting out the signage... I inferred they just put up what they got, but planned to make changes when proper sign placards arrived. Whether that is third-hand, fourth-hand or even fifth-hand gossip-grade information I don't know... :cool:

The HPWC at the hotel (and likely the Sun Country units) provides a full 80 amps... mind you, only 200 volts. So what's that... about 80 km/h?
I'm debating that, if I can get at least a 110v plug guaranteed for me at Big White (which is far from certain in my past experience up there) then I may be willing to use an 80A HPWC on my way home to top off if needed, though I'd be much more comfortable with a Supercharger available. It's either that or ICE, but I'd much rather take the Tesla!

I'm debating that, if I can get at least a 110v plug guaranteed for me at Big White (which is far from certain in my past experience up there) then I may be willing to use an 80A HPWC on my way home to top off if needed, though I'd be much more comfortable with a Supercharger available. It's either that or ICE, but I'd much rather take the Tesla!

l took the ICE last time (going just to Kelowna and back) because if someone happened to be using that HPWC then I would have been stuck there far too long using the 30 amp ones. Even at 80 it's a long wait but doable.

I can't imagine your kids will be too disappointed!

The kids have been to Disney twice already and were talking about digging for dinosaur bones. I personally don't mind going to Cars Land at California Adventure Park again.

- - - Updated - - -

Just found this. Family drove from Calgary to Disneyland in their Tesla.

Yes, I've watched part of this video and the return trip video as well. I remember doing somes of those roads in an ICE in the past. Will be a totally different experience in a Model S and save a few hundred bucks in fuel money.

Last edited by a moderator: