Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Valleyview, AB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@thrull1 Well, I got where I needed to go, but charging amenities up here aren't the fastest.

I'm in Grande Prairie but need to be in Calgary in 24h. I was previously just charging from 'block heater' sockets in some parking spots but thats been a tad slow.

I did find that there's a free 6kw/32a plug in the 'ama' parking lot, the only downside is that ive been approached by people asking for spare change. Currently plugged in there and 4-5h remaining till I 'probably' have enough range to get to the supercharger in Edson AB.

Unless of course someone has any confirmation of the supercharger in valleyview or Whitecourt opening? In which case I could probably leave now..

I am out of spare change so if I can leave sooner id be happy to.
Also, download PlugShare for non Tesla charging options. If you have the CCS adapter, there’s a free one by the airport.

Fack, here I am driving back to the area and both the Whitecourt and Valleyview chargers are still showing offline :'(..

I'll probably try driving past and plugging in both of them regardless just incase the app happens to be wrong. They were supposed to be active before the year end and we're running out of days.

Okay i ended up not actually plugging in to check because i couldn't find them on my tesla navigation. Hopefully they come online by January 4 when i intend to leave the north
You won’t find them in the car until they have been turned on. Same with the app on your phone. When they are turned on, the will show up in the app on your phone before they show up in the car.

As others have pointed out, don’t plan travels here if you need supercharging. Hoping they are turned on is a great way to get stuck like your last trip.

If you NEED to travel through here, buy the ccs adapter and charge at the Grande Prarie airport. 50kw is much better than 6kw. There are cheaper (I’ve seen $60) versions on Amazon but not made by Tesla.

• Helpful
Reactions: IdaX
You won’t find them in the car until they have been turned on. Same with the app on your phone. When they are turned on, the will show up in the app on your phone before they show up in the car.

As others have pointed out, don’t plan travels here if you need supercharging. Hoping they are turned on is a great way to get stuck like your last trip.

If you NEED to travel through here, buy the ccs adapter and charge at the Grande Prarie airport. 50kw is much better than 6kw. There are cheaper (I’ve seen $60) versions on Amazon but not made by Tesla.

Yes id love to buy this, but I dont currently have an address in which i reside so i cant order it shipped, I'll be in Grande Prairie tomorrow and then be leaving that same day. Are there any places where i can buy a CCS charger adapter in Grande Prairie? For what its worth i have a j1772 and NEMA plug adapter/mobile charger

Yes id love to buy this, but I dont currently have an address in which i reside so i cant order it shipped, I'll be in Grande Prairie tomorrow and then be leaving that same day. Are there any places where i can buy a CCS charger adapter in Grande Prairie? For what its worth i have a j1772 and NEMA plug adapter/mobile charger
Going to guess no. It would be part of planning a trip before you leave. If you were going to stay in a hotel and knew you could get it ordered ahead and delivered the day you arrive you could have it shipped to the hotel.

These are not items that are stocked in stores other than Tesla service centers.

Going to guess no. It would be part of planning a trip before you leave. If you were going to stay in a hotel and knew you could get it ordered ahead and delivered the day you arrive you could have it shipped to the hotel.

These are not items that are stocked in stores other than Tesla service centers.
So i did try to plug-in in valleyview, can confirm it didn't work earlier today.

On another note, i found out my Tesla is pretty good at offroading and has more battery than it lets on.. was at 87%/425km(MYLR, Chinese). I somehow managed to make it to the Edson supercharger from the Grande Prairie AMA, although it hit 0% 15 mins before i reached Edson.

I did end up driving down a few oilrig lease roads as an accidental shortcut. Panicked a bit when my initial route was blocked due to a bridge in the woods no longer existing, but when i confidently drove down another dirt road that went south it rerouted. I am confident i was not supposed to be there as i kept seeing "MUST CALL" radio/kilometer signs and got some confused looks from some people wearing coveralls.

When i finally arrived my tesla sucked up 87 kwh/51$..

Attachments

• PXL_20240104_003038962.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240104_003038962.MP.jpg
    248.4 KB · Views: 69
  • 17043435835041532093623152509463.jpg
    17043435835041532093623152509463.jpg
    316 KB · Views: 45
I am confident i was not supposed to be there as i kept seeing "MUST CALL" radio/kilometer signs and got some confused looks from some people wearing coveralls.
To make you feel better, the public can and does still use these roads. These drivers are used to seeing people without a radio. They should call out that you're heading up or down when they encounter you.

----

Any update on this charger being up soon? I need to use it on Monday, ideally.

To make you feel better, the public can and does still use these roads. These drivers are used to seeing people without a radio. They should call out that you're heading up or down when they encounter you.

----

Any update on this charger being up soon? I need to use it on Monday, ideally.
If it’s live it will be in the Tesla app under the location tab. Scroll te map around until the location the charger is in the center. If there is a red dot it’s live.

This is starting to get frustrating, both this one and Whitecourt are still offline... A big reason i bought a tesla was because i was assured by the rep that there would be a supercharger in valleyview before the end of 2023, making a stress free journey to grande prairie, a trip i make very frequently. Thank goodness I didn't let them talk me into taking a rwd/short range model.. i keep taking the offroad/lease roads route to ensure i have enough range and id really prefer to not have to do this... I hit a deer last time and it's quite stressful at night, especially after heavy snow.

This is starting to get frustrating, both this one and Whitecourt are still offline... A big reason i bought a tesla was because i was assured by the rep that there would be a supercharger in valleyview before the end of 2023, making a stress free journey to grande prairie, a trip i make very frequently. Thank goodness I didn't let them talk me into taking a rwd/short range model.. i keep taking the offroad/lease roads route to ensure i have enough range and id really prefer to not have to do this... I hit a deer last time and it's quite stressful at night, especially after heavy snow.
I feel for you but don't listen to anything a Tesla sales rep has to say. They are just trying to make a sale and will do anything they can to make said sale.

If you are through Whitecourt and Valleyview on a regular basis, you might want to confirm that transformers and meters are in place at the Supercharger sites. The meters are usually on the tall white Tesla cabinets. If the meter is there, check to see if the power is flowing (the display on the meter is working). Once those things are in place it is usually up to Tesla to check and turn on the chargers. In more remote locations it is possible that there are delays if Tesla has to send a tech to the site.

Reactions: PLUS EV
There were white cabinets last time I looked, I'm driving through again tonight so maybe I'll stop to inspect it more closely. My vehicle still doesn't show those chargers as online unfortunately.. With all the bad weather and extreme cold this week it is making me slightly nervous to be forced to run my tesla to basically 0% to make the journey.

There were white cabinets last time I looked, I'm driving through again tonight so maybe I'll stop to inspect it more closely. My vehicle still doesn't show those chargers as online unfortunately.. With all the bad weather and extreme cold this week it is making me slightly nervous to be forced to run my tesla to basically 0% to make the journey.
White cabinets aren’t transformers. Those are the Tesla V3 charger cabinets and one switchgear where the output from the transformer gets routed to the charge cabinets. You are looking for a giant dark army green box. No transformer, no power.

Pretty sure we covered this before but buy a CCS adapter ($60 on Amazon) and use fast chargers in other towns on your route. Figure out how to overcome the problem instead of constantly complaining about being “forced to run my Tesla to 0% to make the journey.”
1709698963527.png

Reactions: bolero and GleanerC
White cabinets aren’t transformers. Those are the Tesla V3 charger cabinets and one switchgear where the output from the transformer gets routed to the charge cabinets. You are looking for a giant dark army green box. No transformer, no power.

Pretty sure we covered this before but buy a CCS adapter ($60 on Amazon) and use fast chargers in other towns on your route. Figure out how to overcome the problem instead of constantly complaining about being “forced to run my Tesla to 0% to make the journey.”
View attachment 1025052
For what its worth my Tesla died enroute, cost to tow to Edmonton to repair $2750 (tow from Clairmont)