Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What are "Ideal Miles"?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Perhaps ask the creator of your third party app (whatever tesla control is, its not provided by tesla) what that is? Its not something from tesla, so you will need the person who programmed it to tell you.

Edit... like 5 seconds of googling "tesla control" gets to documentation from them:

teslacontrol.JPG

Perhaps ask the creator of your third party app (whatever tesla control is, its not provided by tesla) what that is? Its not something from tesla, so you will need the person who programmed it to tell you.
No, that has nothing to do with that 3rd party app. The toggle between "ideal" or "rated" is right there in the touch screen display settings in Tesla's cars. Granted, it is only the S and X that still have that. Tesla dropped the option for "ideal" from the displays of the 3 and Y.

My Windoze "Tesla Control" app gives me a number for "Ideal Miles" - and then another
for "range". The range number seems much closer to my actual. What is the "Ideal"
number and why is it provided?
OK, so this has to go back to some history:
Around the time when Tesla was designing and pre-advertising the upcoming Model S, (like around 2010 to 2012), the EPA had been using a different kind of measuring system for all kinds of vehicles--gas and electric. So Tesla had been advertising that the Model S would have "300" EPA rated miles. At that point, by the time the Model S was coming out in 2012, the EPA moved their rating system to try to make it more realistic to what people expected. Vehicles across the market got reduced EPA numbers for efficiency and total range.

To account for this, so that Tesla didn't have to make it look like they were changing their minds or going back on their word, they renamed things. They moved that "300" number to being called "ideal miles", and then under the new EPA rating, it was 265, which they called "rated miles".

Interesting trivia with Europe naming:
They use the NEDC rating system, which is still ridiculous fantasy high numbers. So they have the high one called "rated" and the lower one called "typical".

Last edited: