Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What car until your M3 or othe affordable Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I for one cannot afford a current Tesla even a CPO used one. That being said I am a huge fan and one my current hybrid is due for replacement I am looking at a Ford C-Max as my 'bridge' vehicle, until I can swing the Tesla that I want to buy. Are there any others who are in a similar situation? What are you driving in the meantime, or what are you planning to buy or even lease to fill the gap?

Hadn't noticed those threads, thanks! I already have two hybrids in the house a gen2 Prius and a gen1 (2005) FEH (pre-model refresh circa 2010), both are over 200k miles, though they are still running fairly well. I'm not a fan of leasing, so I am looking at a used 2014, 2015 vintage Ford C-Max PHeV for myself and possibly a leaf for my wife. I take too many long trips for the leaf to be viable for my use.

Used Chevrolet Volts can be had with low miles as cheap as $13k. These act like battery EV's for people who commute less than 15 miles each way to work, or 30 miles if you have access to charging at work. If your commute is city or stop and go freeway, then bump that to 20 miles and 40 miles. They are quick for an economy car, and handle well. But when you run the battery dry, the gasoline generator kicks on for another 250+ miles of range.

Used battery EV's are also cheap now. A comparison of the cheaper models:

2014 Chevrolet Spark EV vs. 2013 Fiat 500E, 2014 Ford Focus Electric, 2013 Honda Fit EV, 2013 Nissan Leaf SL, 2013 Smart Fortwo ED Cabriolet - Comparison Tests

You might want to avoid the Leaf though on the used market. Battery life is a problem.

Something obnoxious with a manual transmission. Maybe a riced-out Honda Civic Si or a Honda Fit with an aftermarket turbo and exhaust. Might as well row those gears and spin those VTEC motors to within a millimeter of flying apart, because they will be antiques soon.

I'm kidding... sorta.