Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do you pay for electricity?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"Take the amount of the bill and divide by the kWh delivered by the utility. Should be fairly straightforward." That isn't meaningless but it's not straightforward. It's going to give a different per kWh cost from one billing period to another, depending on usage, if there are fixed costs, tiered billing, or TOU billing.

"Theres probably about another 1.5 cents in delivery/other variable charges." People like to guess, but figuring it out is better. Where I live, the per kWh cost is also listed as 6.5¢ (CA$) off-peak but is actually 9.435¢ (all in, including sales tax). Like mknox, I omit the fixed charges, which to me is the only sensible way to start to determine the cost of running the car, if anyone's interested in that. (And people will be if they want an idea of TCO.)

Nonetheless, Hydro One makes it difficult to know several of the seven additional factors in its residential electricity bill, beyond the 6.5¢.

(.0985¢/kWh is world-class cheap. I think you mean $.0985.)

I wasn't asking how much it costs to run the vehicle. Rather, I was asking what electricity costs in different jurisdictions.

Your numbers are a bit low on the delivery/other charges - I think mknox has the correct figures and he should know since he works in the industry.

Since you asked... I do keep a little spreadsheet to tabulate my "bottom line" all in cost (gas pump analogy) for electricity:

Screen Shot 07-07-17 at 01.59 PM.JPG

Now paying:
6.5c/kw off peak - all of my charging (4.89c/kw USD)
9.5c/kw mid tier (7.12c/kw USD)
13.2c/kw on peak (9.9c/kw USD)

Converting Ontario utility rates to $US really doesn't make any sense. It's not like you can export it across the border. My brother lives in California and pays his electricity bills in his local currency, not Canadian dollars. His rates didn't skyrocket just because the Canadian dollar dropped in relationship to the US dollar. Nor did Ontario rates drop simply because our currency did.

Converting Ontario utility rates to $US really doesn't make any sense. It's not like you can export it across the border. My brother lives in California and pays his electricity bills in his local currency, not Canadian dollars. His rates didn't skyrocket just because the Canadian dollar dropped in relationship to the US dollar. Nor did Ontario rates drop simply because our currency did.

Oh I wasn't converting...I was putting it there for reference since there are Americans posting here too

Oh I wasn't converting...I was putting it there for reference since there are Americans posting here too

But it's not realistic. It makes Ontario electricity look very cheap simply because our dollar fell in relationship to the greenback. It costs us the same as it always did and Americans pay what they always did with their dollars in the US. The only example of where this is a realistic comparison is if an American owns property and pays for electricity in Canada using his or her US dollars to do so.