TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Elon Musk vs. Short sellers

Discussion in 'TSLA Investor Discussions' started by jesselivenomore, Jun 18, 2018.

1. winfield100

winfield100 Active Member

ok, sorta from elsewhere, how do you ferret out whom the majort short sellers, and even better, their basis and carrying costs.
    somebody has to have free time to have already done this......

2. omgwtfbyobbq

omgwtfbyobbq Active Member

It becomes illegal when shorts have to disclose their position. Until then, it's just normal FUD. Tesla in particular gets the most of it because they don't spend much if anything on advertising.

3. winfield100

can anyone tell me what a series 4 license is? for someone having 9 folks help them short?
    kinda curious

4. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Active Member

I apologize if I'm being rude here, but is anyone else creeped out by winfield's avatar?

• Like x 3
    • Funny x 1
  5. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

I think that's Winfield.

• Funny x 1
  6. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Active Member

Yep, then that would be rude. Sorry.

• Funny x 1
  7. defc0n

defc0n Member

I think he may take that as a compliment :)

• Funny x 1
  8. winfield100

#708 winfield100, Aug 26, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
    not me. <smile> (the picture is over 0.41 century old)
    edit:
    do you have an alternate suggestion? it's only possibly supposed to "creep out" shorts and
    those whom oppose Tesla and it's myriad of products, i guess.
    happy investing

• Informative x 1
    • Funny x 1
  9. winfield100

am i supposed to tone it down? I may have a kitten picture somewhere, or tooting "you-nee-korn" or if i could figure out how to do animated GIF of the lion from seconds 10-13 of hope I haven't offended nyone, after almost 70 years, it's hard not to have

• Love x 1
  10. winfield100

yes

11. ggr

ggr Roadster R80 537, SigS P85 29, M3P 80k

I thought it was Buddy Christ.

• Funny x 2
  12. Papafox

Papafox Active Member

This article in Institutional Investor about Jim Chanos published today includes the following statements about Fairfax:

One of Chanos’s few losing shorts that drew media criticism was an ugly battle with Canadian insurer Fairfax Financial. Flame-throwing journalist Matt Taibbi criticized the short-sellers in his book The Divide: American Injustice in the Age of the Wealth Gap, saying that hedge fund moguls Dan Loeb and Steve Cohen, among others, had followed Chanos’s lead and ganged up to drive down the shares of Fairfax. (The company sued the hedge fund managers in a New Jersey court, but the case against Kynikos was eventually thrown out on jurisdictional grounds, with Fairfax losing its final appeal last year.)

The short-sellers argued that Fairfax was underreserved, which turned out to be true. But ultimately it didn’t matter, as Fairfax made up for its deficiencies with a timely subprime short during the financial crisis.

Chanos concedes that the critics had one good argument: Short-sellers had hired a third-party researcher, Spyro Contogouris, who turned out to be a “bad guy” who engaged in unsavory behavior that confirmed the public’s worst suspicions of short-sellers. “As soon as we found that out,” Chanos says, “we fired him.”

Maybe there's nothing new here, but it is yet another reference.

• Informative x 1
  13. WillK

WillK Member

• Love x 2
  14. SPadival

SPadival Member

Nice fairy tale. Taibbi points out that Chanos himself delivered a Contogouris-penned “report” on Fairfax to the University of Toronto because they were associated with Prem Watsa. There is circumstantial evidence in the book that Chanos himself was the author of anonymous letters to Prem Watsa.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 2
  15. PaulusdB

PaulusdB Mayor Gnomus Vintage Limb

• Funny x 1
  16. mspohr

mspohr Active Member

17. Brando

Brando Active Member

#717 Brando, Oct 11, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    A Field Guide To Potential Securities Violations By Tesla's Foes — In Depth | CleanTechnica

I've seen other list Tesla mile stones - how could anyone imagine anyone better than Elon? based on hourly stock fluctuation?
    get a grip
    How about SpaceX Shotwell? 7th employee and worked her way to COO - listen up - all those armchair critics - actual facts?

@DaveT just keep showing your Tesla, talk/answer questions, give rides.
    Stories to combat stories - doesn't that just increase the click bait?
    reminder the problem is NOT demand (all those negative stories must not be working) it is supply.

• Like x 1
  18. SW2Fiddler

SW2Fiddler Ell Zee One, when the twins alit.

Gotta diversify, says #PoorJimChanos as he hedges his mobility market position.

AC2B5FC8-C4AD-4D42-87BB-3316CCFD9447.jpeg

Too Little, Poor Jim. And Too Late.

• Funny x 2
    • Love x 1