Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do you think 2019 holds for the Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
HW3
$35K version late in the year
8-9K per week production

I actually hope Tesla doesn't increase production too much. There's a limit to demand as there is for any car. 5-7k a week should be soaked up by worldwide demand. What happens if they invest to make 10k a week and in 2 years there's only say 5k a week demand (like the top cars in the world can't be that much more than 10k a week, camry or something). This must be a standard issue for cars. I would rather safely be under demand.

At $35k with a lease, demand will certainly exceed Camry demand.
At 10k a week, the profits should be pretty good.
I would think they could invest for 10k a week and convert some to the Y.
A Y right now at $40k with a lease could probably hit 20k a week.
Don't underestimate how many people want out of the ICE but can't quite get there yet. Don't underestimate what will happen when the federal government's environmental pendulum swings back.
Volume = price reductions or profit.

• Love
Reactions: lkstaack
At $35k with a lease, demand will certainly exceed Camry demand.
At 10k a week, the profits should be pretty good.
I would think they could invest for 10k a week and convert some to the Y.
A Y right now at $40k with a lease could probably hit 20k a week.
Don't underestimate how many people want out of the ICE but can't quite get there yet. Don't underestimate what will happen when the federal government's environmental pendulum swings back.
Volume = price reductions or profit.
While I like leasing ( coming out of 3 consecutive 3 year lease cycles for (2) leased BMWs, leasing only works if the residual is good. For the residual to be good, it really needs to be supported by the manufacturer having a captive financial arm.

Tesla doesnt have this, and until they do, leasing tesla's is not going to be super attractive. If you are thinking "leasing" like BMW , mercedes, audi, toyota, tesla prices wont look like leases from those manufacturers until and unless they get their own financial company (Tesla financial). Tesla leasing right now just runs through regular financial institutions.

Also, all those lease returns have to go somewere (used market), and the pricing for new has to reflect that. BMWs for example typically have a 59-62% residual set by BMW f5inancial, but in actuality are normally actually WORTH around 51-55% on lease turn. Your standard BMW 3 series is worth about 51% or so of its MSRP in 3 years, or said another way, depreciates close to 50%. Most luxury cars are the same. With people expecting ever longer and longer battery range in EVs, I dont see them holding their value any better than the above.

Leasing 35k tesla's is not the answer, in my opinion. Leasing 75-100k tesla's, sure. People in that price range are familiar with leasing, and understand the pro's and cons. John and Jane Doe car buyer in the 35k car bracket likely does not understand leasing, and there is no "car salesman" at tesla incentivized to explain it to them. They just want to buy a car.

Forums do NOT represent the regular buyers.

Any "ramp up" also normally involves hiring workers / labor, which would then have to be let go if the expected volume did not materialize. FAR better to overwork your current staff in "burst mode", and if volume maintains at a higher level, THEN ramp up to meet the new forcasted demand.

I hate to reply to myself, but I don’t see to have edit-button privileges yet... What I wanted to add is that leasing is make-or-break for me vis-a-vie Tesla. If I can’t lease a M3, I’ll likely end up in another Cadillac. With the rapidity of iteration on vehicles now, I don’t want the long term commitment. I’d rather refresh every 36-39 months.

(And before you say “why Cadillac?” - very simply... I’m only interested in considering American manufacturers. And of those, I think Cadillac - by far - has the most innovation in the traditional vehicle space. In fact, there’s a bunch of features in the XT5 that I’d be giving up for Tesla. 360-degree cameras, rearview mirror cam, heads-up display, auto-wipers that work, heated steering wheel, satellite radio (not innovative but nice to have) - are all things I’d be giving up... I’ll make those sacrifices for a lease, but sure as heck wouldn’t do so for a purchase.
The beauty of Tesla is getting a new car every 6-8 weeks via updates. When I picked mine up Jul 3 I didn’t have dashcam, Navigate on Autopilot, fireplace, rear heated seats, or farts, lol. This is a huge departure from your Caddy that will be the same boring car for the length of the lease...you’ll be charged to update maps. It’s this feature of Tesla I enjoy the most.

Bumping this thread to see how well people did with their predictions.

Looks like the cheapest car is 39990 - 1875 = 38115 - so still no $35k version :(

Think everyone finally got their spoilers & AWD/P badges, right? :D

Thats not correct, the cheapest tesla is 35,400 - 1875. The fact it has to be ordered in person doesnt mean it doesnt exist.

Reactions: house9
The beauty of Tesla is getting a new car every 6-8 weeks via updates. When I picked mine up Jul 3 I didn’t have dashcam, Navigate on Autopilot, fireplace, rear heated seats, or farts, lol. This is a huge departure from your Caddy that will be the same boring car for the length of the lease...you’ll be charged to update maps. It’s this feature of Tesla I enjoy the most.

So - given this is bumping a necro-thread, I guess I can eat some crow. I obviously gave up my stance on leasing and bought a Model 3 outright. And it's been pretty great. Still miss some of those features, but it's great.

Bumping this thread to see how well people did with their predictions.
Looks like the cheapest car is 39990 - 1875 = 38115 - so still no $35k version :(
Think everyone finally got their spoilers & AWD/P badges, right? :D

There's for sure a $35k version - you just have to call for it. It's not posted on the website, but absolutely available.

What's different vs. the lowest end config available online? What do users here call this config? Interested in looking @ other threads about it.

It's call the "Standard Range". What's on the website is "Standard Range Plus". Primary differences are:

SR: 220mi range
SR+: 250 mi range

SR: only black interior available
SR+: black or white ($1000 extra) interior

SR: autopilot not included
SR+: autopilot included

SR: Basic sound system
SR+: "Immersive" sound system

Otherwise that's about it ...

Here's a fairly recent thread comparing the two: Model 3 SR vs. SR+

But yes, this is the vaunted $35k model, and it is available - you just have to talk to someone at a showroom about it ....