Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What are we expecting to happen price-wise on Model 3 in Canada?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking to buy a new Model 3 (just the basic version) and curious to hear what others' thoughts are on future price changes. I'm not in a rush, whether I get this car tomorrow or a few months from now doesn't make a difference, although I would like it before the end of summer. Should I buy now or wait? In the US, the federal tax credit is supposed to be reduced on April 18, so I think a price reduction is likely, and I think that a price reduction in the US would also affect prices in Canada, am I wrong about that? I just don't wanna buy a car now and then find that if I waited a month I could have saved several thousand bucks. Obviously none of us have a crystal ball but I'm just curious to hear what others think and what you'd do if you were me.

I expect Tesla to reduce their prices long-term as efficiencies in production reduce their costs to manufacture. In the short-term anything can happen. If you're ready to order now, I'd order now as the risk of a small price bump causing you to both have to pay a higher price and also losing the iZEV credit of $5,000 is to my mind a worse outcome than missing out on a price drop of a few hundred dollars or maybe even a one to two thousand dollars.

Reactions: cdswm3
Making a future price based decision is hard, as prices are just as likely to go up as they are down. There's no data skewing the odds one way or another. On the other hand, you can bank on technology getting better, so that's something you may want to consider. Specifically, HW4 has already been confirmed by Tesla but the current Model 3 ships with HW3. While there's always something better on the horizon and you can fall into the trap of waiting forever, HW4 is a significant and imminent change. If it was me, I'd wait a little while, but not because I'm hoping to be on the lucky side of price changes, but rather because HW4 will be a significant change that matters to me.

Depending on what you are driving and how much your drive, if you wait you might end up spending more on fuel that what you'll save anyway
FREWljp.png

Depending on what you are driving and how much your drive, if you wait you might end up spending more on fuel that what you'll save anyway
FREWljp.png

At 170 Wh/km (what my average efficiency is over 107,000 km on my 2018 M3 LR RWD) your 8,302 kWh would get one almost 49,000 km. Clearly an outlier as far as mileage in one year goes, and we have no idea what kind of mileage the OP does in a year, but your point is still valid. Also they're depriving themselves of the enjoyment that comes with driving a Tesla while they wait.

As for the HW4 argument, it's a valid point but they're looking for just the basic version so likely less interested in FSD. First, I expect that the most basic vehicles will get HW4 last, and it may also come with a price bump that puts it out of range for the iZEV credits. On the other hand, whenever it does come out for the base M3, there may be some incentives to clear out inventory of HW3 cars. It's really quite impossible to predict what's going to happen...

Reactions: johnny_cakes
I think the first month of a quarter is the worst time if you're considering new inventory. Deals, reductions, free supercharging all seem to increase towards the end of the quarter, but we have no idea if they will do anything this quarter so its a gamble.

If you're going to just order your spec as there are no inventory cars on the website, and there aren't many at the moment, then I guess it doesn't matter when you order.

While we still have our Model 3, we recently purchased a non-Tesla EV with a trade-in. The trade-in value was very attractive in that instance and was a significant factor in deciding to purchase when we did. I thought that it was quite likely that used car values will fall to more normal levels. Tesla prices could fall in coming months but so could the value of whatever you might own right now. Only in hindsight will we know for sure.