Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

what do you think??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
just like some try to make everything contentious

You said:

the majority of all drivers rarely take extended road trips.

And I pointed you to a survey that found nearly 90% of Americans take summer road trips. And that's only summer. Then when I correct you, you reply that I try to make everything contentious. Good one.

You need to grow a thicker skin and just admit when you're wrong, rather than moving the goal posts...

I know far more people that rarely drive more than 50 miles in a day.

my point was that every one has their own needs

No, your point was that superchargers are not needed for the majority of people, since "the majority of all drivers rarely take extended road trips". That's what I took issue with, and not the two quotes above, which are irrelevant to that issue, and which I take no issue with.

Reactions: ecarfan
everyone has differing needs from their vehicle, you like the majority of all drivers rarely take extended road trips. I have a friend in CA who in over 2 years of ownership has never used a SpC. however I and many others do take long road trips and the SpC network is crucial, without that network in place I would never have bought the car.
people who don't drive many miles per day could consider less costly EV options. Paying a premium for up to 300 miles of range might not be cost effective for those types.

Even though I rarely take road trips, I do still drive close to 30k miles a year. My daily commute is 80 miles round trip, so that adds up. I also need to be able to drive down to LA from Edwards AFB and back to Palmdale in one day without charging. To do that requires a big battery car. Sure, I could buy a Bolt, but I really don't like the look of CUVs, and the Bolt is an odd one in person.

Now, if Lexus made a 250 mile EV in the format of an IS or even a GS? I am all over that. (After they get over their current grill design weirdness that is). Of course I have a while to wait, because Toyota bet on the wrong horse with fuel cells. Rumor has it that GM's next BEV will be a larger car. I admit that I like the look of the new Malibus, so if they went that route I might look at them as well. I was very impressed with my Volt - it is a great car and GM won me over with that one.

I expect we will be seeing VWs network getting built out in a couple of years, and I notice that EVGo is expanding DC chargers a lot in my area. Hopefully the supercharger network will have some competition soon.