Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windows Phone Link Blocking Tesla Key

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sdorn

Director of Awesome
Supporting Member
Oct 9, 2016
Georgia
I recently picked up a Microsoft Surface Pro to replace my iPad Pro and so far am really loving it. I also decided to try out Phone Link for the first time which lets you connect an iPhone to a Windows computer and see all your notifications from your phone and send/receive calls and texts on your computer. It uses a similar connection to the one Tesla uses for sending/receiving text messages.

I did the installation one day at work, and as I left for the day and headed out to my Model S I initially had trouble getting the trunk to open. No matter how close I held my phone it wouldn't open. Even opening the Tesla app didn't help. I hit the open button in the app itself and that worked. Then I went to get in the car, and same thing. Door wouldn't unlock. Unlocked it through the app. Got in and tried to drive, but it said no key was present. I tried disabling bluetooth and reenabling it, but nothing. Finally, the only way I could get it to work was to forget the bluetooth connection to my Surface Pro and then reboot the phone. Finally it reconnected with the car and I was able to drive.

So is it a known issue that Windows' Phone Link breaks the ability to use your phone as a key for your Tesla? I tried some Googling but couldn't find anything about it online.

Yes, I tried Windows Phone Link and while I had it active I would have to cycle my phone Bluetooth to connect to the car. Phone key worked fine, but audio/phone connection would not connect. Disabled Windows Phone Link and now it connects fine.