Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What does it cost to use a supercharger for a Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
$12 for 340 kms of range equates to about $12 for 50 kwh of energy...which translates to 24cents / kwh.

Seems a bit of a premium.

Including all delivery/fee/regulatory charegs I on average pay about 12.5 c/kwh at home all in, which is about 70% off peak.

If I was 100% on peak I'd be at 17.2 c/kwh

This rate is about 85% more than I pay on average for electricity at home, and about 33% more than someone charging at home 100% on peak.

Convenience is impossible to put a price on though. It makes the model 3 a car you can actually use and count in, which is awesome. And relative to the rest of the EV world, it's miles better than any other solution out there both in terms of cost/speed/availability/convenience (in Southern Ontario anyway). I'm just a bit biased being a Model S owner with free supercharging.

well Tesla is charging 40 cents per minute above 60kWh and 20 cents under 60kWh. It's obviously more expensive than charging at home if you have that Luxury. I wish they kept their old rates. I think it was 13/26

"$12 for 340 kms of range equates to about $12 for 50 kwh of energy." In the S, 340 km of range would be about 70kWh.

As for the M3 not being a long-range car: ??? The bigger battery has a 499 km EPA range; 400 km are not a realistic range (or 200 for half) unless in considerable cold.

For electricity at a SCh you can't expect to pay what you pay at home, especially if home has TOU and you go for the cheapest time---any more than you can expect an ordinary restaurant meal to cost what it'd cost you to make at home.

I tried to browse supercharging rates in Canada, but kept getting a redirect (since I live in the US). Finally opened an incognito tab, blocked the location request, and came up with this list:

-(Above 60kW)(At or below 60kW)
Manitoba: $0.34$0.17
Saskatchewan: $0.34$0.17
Alberta: $0.36$0.18
NB: $0.36$0.18
NS: $0.36$0.18
BC: $0.40$0.20
Ontario: $0.40$0.20
Quebec: $0.40$0.20

Manitoba and Saskatchewan win!

EDIT: Prices are per minute.

Last edited:
"$12 for 340 kms of range equates to about $12 for 50 kwh of energy." In the S, 340 km of range would be about 70kWh.

this is about the model 3 not the model S. You lost ?

As for the M3 not being a long-range car: ??? The bigger battery has a 499 km EPA range; 400 km are not a realistic range (or 200 for half) unless in considerable cold.

No idea what you're on about there

For electricity at a SCh you can't expect to pay what you pay at home, especially if home has TOU and you go for the cheapest time---any more than you can expect an ordinary restaurant meal to cost what it'd cost you to make at home.

Nobody said it should be the same as at home. Only that it is a significant premium and that premium is for convenience, which can in fact be priceless.

I tried to browse supercharging rates in Canada, but kept getting a redirect (since I live in the US). Finally opened an incognito tab, blocked the location request, and came up with this list:

-(Above 60kW)(At or below 60kW)
Manitoba: $0.34$0.17
Saskatchewan: $0.34$0.17
Alberta: $0.36$0.18
NB: $0.36$0.18
NS: $0.36$0.18
BC: $0.40$0.20
Ontario: $0.40$0.20
Quebec: $0.40$0.20

Manitoba and Saskatchewan win!

EDIT: Prices are per minute.
Except they have no superchargers lol