Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What does tesla charge for processing the registration and title?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

David29

Supporting Member
Aug 1, 2015
DEDHAM, MA
Just out of curiosity, what is Tesla charging these days to process the registration, collect the sales taxes, provide and register the title, and so on? Besides the fees charged by the government agencies themselves? I do not recall what Tesla charged me 8 years ago, but I understand that a lot of other dealers charge for these services under a "documentation fee" or something similar. Curious how Tesla's charges compare....

Just out of curiosity, what is Tesla charging these days to process the registration, collect the sales taxes, provide and register the title, and so on? Besides the fees charged by the government agencies themselves? I do not recall what Tesla charged me 8 years ago, but I understand that a lot of other dealers charge for these services under a "documentation fee" or something similar. Curious how Tesla's charges compare....

Tesla has long rolled a doc fee into the destination fee (currently $1,390). There is also the order fee of $250. Other fees may include acquisition fee ($695) and disposition fee ($395) on leases. I imagine at least a portion of these fees are meant to cover “traditional” doc fees.

State and/or local governments then charge their own fees which can include title fee, license plate fee, registration fee, tire fee, battery fee, filing fee, etc. which Tesla collects and passes on to the government agency/agencies.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
I took delivery in October on a new M3LR. Since my state does not allow Tesla sales, I had to go to TN to pick it up. In addition to the $1390 destination and regulatory doc fee, there was a $5 tire fee, and the order fee - $250 which was paid when I placed the order and then credited back to me on the final paperwork. I paid the sales tax, title, registration, etc. at my local motor vehicle office.

• Informative
Reactions: David29