Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What if one got this instead of air suspension?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BTW, the item in your link is different than the one we used for my sister and brother-in-law's RV.
Rubber Mat, Black, 4 ft. x 6 ft. - For Life Out Here
This one is twice the thickness and more expensive. It it heavy and dense. I have no idea about the one you've selected at 3/8 inch, but it might work perfectly and be easier to buy, take home, cut, and manage. You'll have to decide if it will do the job for you. I'm confident the one I listed will work.

BTW, the item in your link is different than the one we used for my sister and brother-in-law's RV.
Rubber Mat, Black, 4 ft. x 6 ft. - For Life Out Here
This one is twice the thickness and more expensive. It it heavy and dense. I have no idea about the one you've selected at 3/8 inch, but it might work perfectly and be easier to buy, take home, cut, and manage. You'll have to decide if it will do the job for you. I'm confident the one I listed will work.
The one I linked to is out of stock anyway, so I was going to get the one you mentioned. 3/4 inch should work perfectly.
Will report back once I try it!

So a quick reach back to high school trigonometry tells me that to add 3/4 inch of clearance in the middle of the 116.5 inch wheelbase of this car, the front wheels will need to be raised by 1.5 inches. That is two layers of this rubber mat.
This should enough from what I saw when my Tesla OA came over for a garage test.

Tractor Supply: get ready for a non-conventional customer!

You might be over-thinking this whole thing. Whether the car scrapes while entering your garage depends on the clearance of the center section of the car, not the same as the stated ground clearance which might be measured at a different point. The only way to know is to slowly drive your Tesla into your garage while a trusted friend watches underneath (suggest from the side!) and tells you if / when to stop. Then add two 12" wide strips of the rubber mat in front of either the front or rear, or both tires, to elevate the end(s) and add clearance. Probably you won't want to add rubber mat in front of the rear tires (outside the garage) but maybe that would work in your situation. The length will be determined by the clearance needed to get you just far enough for the rear end of the car to continue up the grade and elevate the middle of the car to achieve the necessary clearance.
I've encountered these issues putting lowered cars on car trailers. I always carry some random 2x12 boards for just such an issue.
Don't forget to take suspension settling and various loads into account. You might have one strip 3 ft long, with a second strip 2 ft long centered on top, and maybe even a 1 foot strip centered on the other two. Ideally you'll have them in far enough that the rear tires don't have to ramp up on them when you park, or at least hopefully allow the garage door to close!

Over-thinking? But it is what we do around here! :)
I did exactly what you suggest when my Owner Advisor came over for a garage test (yes, they will do that). I was watching intently for any rubbing.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443371986.353146.jpg

We are on the same page on my plan.

Got back from Tractor Supply late last night, after driving there straight from pick-up in Fremont.
Yes the staff were surprised, but I was not the first to do it. Another one had come in to pick up two mats some time before, with a light grey interior. And it shed and marked all over that car. They wrapped my mat in a large bag, and my Model S is still factory pristine!

Cut down the mat to my needs, and one strip on each side seems to work fine. I will post pics next week when I get back from the business trip ripping me away from my Model S...

Last edited:
A lot of people have reported that the air suspension "settles" when it sits, but I haven't experienced it in 2.5 years and near 60,000 miles. I also make a habit of never leaving my car's nose or tail hanging over curbs, parking bumpers and such.

Just to add observation here. I have my suspension auto raise in my garage, but i have noticed sometimes it returns to normal when i leave the car (like still in the garage doing thing for a few minutes).

Yesterday I raised it going into a parking lot I've never been in before, and parked it over a curb, and it never went down (for hours).