Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is a dimmed Supercharger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Roy W.

Battery running low...
Jun 3, 2019
Derby, UK
Tomorrow we’re off to Tenby for a week. I’d planned to go and charge at the Sarn Supercharger on the M4, but when I’ve planned the route in the car the Sarn Supercharger is greyed out, whereas the others are bright red.

Any idea what this means, and is Sarn going to be available to me?

Photo?

Superchargers go from full intensity to a faded half intensity when they are at the edge of your current driving range or beyond it in the Nav screen in the car

The lightning bolt icon gets replaced with a circle-slash when they are non-functional.

Superchargers are never grey on the car's screen. Destination chargers are always grey in the car.

On the website the scheme is different, and I think grey is coming soon as mentioned above.

Photo?

Superchargers go from full intensity to a faded half intensity when they are at the edge of your current driving range or beyond it in the Nav screen in the car

The lightning bolt icon gets replaced with a circle-slash when they are non-functional.

Superchargers are never grey on the car's screen. Destination chargers are always grey in the car.

On the website the scheme is different, and I think grey is coming soon as mentioned above.
Thanks for that. You’ve explained it. Because I’m charging to 100% tonight when I checked Sarn was beyond my range.

Phew, and thanks again!

Because I’m charging to 100% tonight when I checked Sarn was beyond my range.

May also change en-route e.g. if you hit traffic / roadworks an "unreachable" Supercharger might fall into range :)

Generally speaking not worth slowing down [to have greater range] for a more distance Supercharger, overall trip will be shorter if you drive-faster and charge-longer (assumes free stall when you get there ...), similarly no point slowing down to charge-less at Supercharger (that will save you some money though ...)

But of course you can't do anything about slow traffic / roadworks, so when that happens it can create an option for a more distant Supercharger

If you are on your last-leg before home then slower, more range, is usually the best option (allowing that it is likely to add 5 minutes to get into service centre, plug-in, power ramp-up, disconnect, re-join highway)

Slowing for more range to avoid a detour to off-route Supercharger may be worthwhile. I have a trip where I have always made it to the out-of-range, on-route, Supercharger where SatNav tells me I need a 15 minute off-route detour (and extra Juice to make up for the extra miles). Traffic, drafting a truck (at safe distance), and doing a 50-stretch sort that. Adds less than 10 minutes to my journey time and saves around 20 minutes.

Some (Most?!!) of that will depend how nerdy you are.

Reactions: Roy W.