Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is going on with my rear quarter panel clear coat paint?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After washing the car, we noticed the driver rear quarter panel had what appeared to be condensation on the paint. Upon closer inspection; it wasn't going away. A week goes by, we wash the car again. We thought it might have been residue leftover from the previous wash. After washing the car, the spot is still there.

It isn't as noticeable in the brightest lighting conditions. The pearl paint is still there. It seems like a layer, or part of the clear coat is coming off? It kind of looks like the clear coat has a haze.

The vehicle was delivered in Feb 2022, and doesn't have many miles. It is washed every 7-10 days. Never been thru a touch wash, only touchless. It has never been to a professional detailer. When only wash with Meguiar Ultimate Wash & Wax.

What is this spot? What options do I have? Would this require a mobile service visit to diagnose, or would it require a service center visit? I imagine one of the two would need to authorize the Tesla body shop to repair it, if it is a paint issue. How is Tesla with these silly sort of issues that don't immediately show themselves in the first 50 miles or 100 miles of ownership? This isn't a spot of the car that receives wear or tear. It literally never gets touched. We don't have a roof rack.

We love the Tesla, altho this is an example of something we worried about before buying. I am not sure if it is growing or shrinking in size. I haven't tried any scratch or swirl removal compound, vehicle waxes, or ceramic coatings on it. I wanted to avoid pastes and anything that could cause Tesla to deny warranty work. If this is clear coat coming up, I would expect Tesla to warranty it. If clear coat is coming up, not even 7 months after ownership (especially when I baby the car so much), it would suggest a manufacturing defect.

Videos capture it better than the photos;

IMG_3878.jpgPXL_20220903_193012518.jpgIMG_3879 Copy.JPG

Last edited:
Service appointment scheduled.

After first noticing the spot a couple weeks ago, it has grown in size. Extending further down the same rear quarter panel.

My wife saw posts online where Tesla owners thought service centers had performed touchup/waxing prior to delivery, in attempt to hide paint nibs & defects. She suspects Tesla could have done something like this with my car and this area - and it only now that the wax is coming off (6-7 months of ownership and touchfree washes). I'm not so sure that is the most likely answer. To me, it looks more like the clear is coming off.

Interesting issue though. Lot of people with paint issues online, but haven't found any posts mentioning this specifically.

Service center is having me come in tomorrow. The SC doesn’t think the clear is coming off. There is one Tesla auto body shop I am going to try and bring it to before the SC visit.

I somewhat worry that Tesla is just going to throw some wax compound on, buff it, and not actually address it. I used to have a dark colored car, and I know how magical waxes and compounds are, when it comes to hiding scratches & swirl marks.

Did you get any resolution to this?