Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is insane and insane+ ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a P3D with driving modes of Sport, chill and recently they added track. What are these other modes that I’ve heard about including insane, ludicrous, etc? Different cars? I can’t imagine anything faster than 0-60 in 3.3

Chill = Slow acceleration/braking and is on all Tesla vehicles
Sport = Only for P3D and is basically the regular mode that does 3.3s
Track Mode = Only for P3D and strictly for track use. No extra speed, but has different stability and traction control for fast driving along with extra cooling.

Ludicrous mode is only on the Model S/X (for now) and is truly crazy fast (2.3s), but may eventually come to the Model 3 according to some Elon tweets in the past.

Oh and Plaid mode will come on the next gen Roadster with under 2 second 0-60 times :D

Reactions: P85_DA
..to add Insane was the fastest mode on P85D..and on P90Ds that opted not to pay 10k extra...Ludicrous is on both X S 100s and was offered as upgrade initially on P90s and for early owners of P85Ds

Reactions: kbecks13
I think the performance upgrade in my Model 3 also cost me 10k which is a hell of a lot to pay for 1.2 seconds but it still feels so worth it!

Track mode is also a huge reason, it was the main factor for me. Without track mode the P3D can only do like 2 maybe 3 laps without overheating and reducing the power output, with track mode it can do like 6 or 7 with minimal power reduction and goes much faster (because of traction control tuning).

Perfect segway to Tesla Corsa which is in a month and is a great chance to test out Track Mode if you're curious: Tesla Corsa | The world's first Tesla-only track day experience!

Reactions: P85_DA
Chill = Slow acceleration/braking and is on all Tesla vehicles
Sport = Only for P3D and is basically the regular mode that does 3.3s
Track Mode = Only for P3D and strictly for track use. No extra speed, but has different stability and traction control for fast driving along with extra cooling.

Ludicrous mode is only on the Model S/X (for now) and is truly crazy fast (2.3s), but may eventually come to the Model 3 according to some Elon tweets in the past.

Oh and Plaid mode will come on the next gen Roadster with under 2 second 0-60 times :D

Does Standard vs Chill change the degree of regen?
i.e. does standard require better accelerator control to make smooth slow downs?

the gears in the motors? why is the acceleration not linear?

The drivetrain has fixed gearing so you only get one hp/torque curve and it looks like this (the various lines are at different charge levels on a Model 3)
model-3-dyno.jpg

As you can see, the power starts to taper off at higher RPMs (AKA higher speeds) which is why you have less power when going from 60 to 120. ICE cars don't have this problem since they use a transmission to reduce RPM and allow the engine to operate in the high power region of the curve.

EV's dont really need a transmission since it adds weight/complexity, though using 2 or 3 gears would mean slightly increased performance (like in Formula E)

The drivetrain has fixed gearing so you only get one hp/torque curve and it looks like this (the various lines are at different charge levels on a Model 3)
model-3-dyno.jpg

As you can see, the power starts to taper off at higher RPMs (AKA higher speeds) which is why you have less power when going from 60 to 120. ICE cars don't have this problem since they use a transmission to reduce RPM and allow the engine to operate in the high power region of the curve.

EV's dont really need a transmission since it adds weight/complexity, though using 2 or 3 gears would mean slightly increased performance (like in Formula E)

so there is no way to push more voltage through at the higher speeds to compensate or anything? basically a physical (not software) limitation?

so there is no way to push more voltage through at the higher speeds to compensate or anything? basically a physical (not software) limitation?

Maybe slightly, but you would just be shifting that curve upward on the graph and not to the right. So you could possibly increase peak power which would give slight gains at the top end, but it probably wouldn't be very effective.

I think the Roadster will still use a fixed gear ratio (no transmission) but will software limit the motor power until it hits 6-7K RPM and then slowly reduce the software limit as the motors potential output decreases. This will give a flatter power curve at the expense of not using full power at the low end, but that's fine since you have TONS of power.

• Informative
Reactions: TANGO SUKKA
Yes, the answer is simple. Have a much bigger battery and huge wires that can handle the load. That costs money however, and your initial 0-60 will still be faster than 60+, unless you wanted to neuter the 0-60 to give the facade that the power is even. Sounds silly and inefficient though as the cost to buy resources that can support those loads and not use it is wasteful.

A transmission/gears might be more efficient. I personally have no idea what the trade-offs there are though.

Maybe slightly, but you would just be shifting that curve upward on the graph and not to the right. So you could possibly increase peak power which would give slight gains at the top end, but it probably wouldn't be very effective.

I think the Roadster will still use a fixed gear ratio (no transmission) but will software limit the motor power until it hits 6-7K RPM and then slowly reduce the software limit as the motors potential output decreases. This will give a flatter power curve at the expense of not using full power at the low end, but that's fine since you have TONS of power.

IMO I'd absolutely hate knowing my off-the-line power is neutered. No thank you. Give me as many G's as possible for my money so that I don't need to buy a rollercoaster instead.