Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts on not choosing acceleration boost on M3LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After mulling a couple of months on this silly and almost entirely inconsequential choice, I've gone with no boost because you cannot go back to standard drive mode (other than the one off/refund method). If the boosted "upgrade" allowed 3 drive modes, chill/standard/sport, then I'd go ahead.

A couple of small issues with boost: it makes the drive more front wheel bias. And boost is exciting but you don't always want a fully strung drive, and chill mode is a little slow.

Honestly I would skip it if I had to pay for it. I got mine with referral credits so it was “free” but I would be sorely disappointed if I paid $2000 for it.

But it feels fine and barely any different than non boost in normal driving if that’s what you’re concerned about. Full throttle it’s a little bit more eager but the LR is pretty quick to begin with.

Honestly I would skip it if I had to pay for it. I got mine with referral credits so it was “free” but I would be sorely disappointed if I paid $2000 for it.

I mean, it knocks ~0.5 seconds off the 0-60, most cars you'd need to spend several times that for a performance increase like that (and void your powertrain warranty doing it)

But it feels fine and barely any different than non boost in normal driving if that’s what you’re concerned about. Full throttle it’s a little bit more eager but the LR is pretty quick to begin with.

Yeah just don't romp on the accelerator and it's not significantly different than standard mode--- so the OPs objection reads as pretty weird to me....

If AB ever becomes available for the Performance, I'll purchase it in two seconds. I drive in Sport(the highest setting) 100% of the time. Absolutely 0 issues with throttle mapping. Never once have I felt it is "too much" even in the tightest, slowest situations. If you can't control your right foot, and competently operate your vehicle, take the bus.

Reactions: doc333 and evo9rs
I also got acceleration boost free from referral credits. While I noticed the difference, I definitely don't value it at $2000 (though I do recognize that a similar performance improvement in any other vehicle would likely cost much more).

I don't agree with the assessment that it somehow ruins "standard" mode. Unless you're flooring the pedal, it really makes no difference.

My wife wouldn't have even noticed we had acceleration boost if I didn't tell her.

I have a 2020 M3LR. After more than three years of driving I see no reason to get acceleration boost, unless your going to race it. All that money for a half second quicker 0-60 time. It makes no sense to me. And there is enough torque to pass a slower car in no time at all. And remember, those quick accelerations will wear out your tires a bit quicker too.

Add another one here that doesn't understand the concern. The car is absolutely not more front-biased, it still drives from the back only until tires slip at which point it needs to use the front. Obviously when you floor it is needs the power of the front to provide the acceleration you are requesting but that was also true before AB.
AB (Sport) or Normal are both fairly powerful and require a warning when letting others drive the car so they don't floor it immediately and do something silly.
Whether it's worth the price is purely personal.

Reactions: UncleCreepy
I'm reluctant to pay £1500 for the acceleration boost but I would pay a lower amount such as £500 / $700. Those posters who say they used referral credits, how did you get someone to use your code?

I wonder if "gaming" the referral credit system would be possible, i.e. to give a buyer £500 if they used my referral code.

Having come from performance cars including, M3, M5, Viper, and an '07 GTR, I can tell you $2K for a 0.5 second acceleration boost is a huge bargain. I didn't want to pay $8K more for the performance model when I bought my '20 M3 long range but I paid for the performance upgrade one week after delivery. I don't use it that often but it is fun when I do.

Most who bought a Performance model paid considerably MORE than 2k for a 1 second quicker 0-60 and it made sense to them.
I chose to buy the acceleration boost. Do I need it? No. Do I use it all the time? Hell no, most of the time I'm driving in chill mode. But it's fun when I do want the sudden and hard acceleration.

Without the inefficient larger tires/wheels, I would have considered a performance model. Paying more for a less efficient car made no sense to me, though. I guess a M3 stealth performance would've been the right car for me.

Reactions: 804son
I could understand the sentiment of LR owners that feel the boost isn't worth it. This same question on Performance owners and whether they would pay for $2k upgrade to get in the high 2s range would probably yield very high take rates.

I bought the performance and I use it pretty much every day...my tires don't last much past 12k miles :D Worth every penny...