Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is the lowest Amperage I can leave it plugged in on a Gen 3 wall charger to maintain the battery level?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sam c

Jan 15, 2023
canada
I am going away on vacation for 3 weeks and I don't want to drain the battery on my MYLR. I want to plug it into the wall charger to maintain the battery level. What is the lowest Amperage I can leave it plugged in on a Gen 3 wall charger to maintain the battery level? Is it 15A or 32 A?

I am going away on vacation for 3 weeks and I don't want to drain the battery on my MYLR. I want to plug it into the wall charger to maintain the battery level. What is the lowest Amperage I can leave it plugged in on a Gen 3 wall charger to maintain the battery level? Is it 15A or 32 A?
Is this your normal WC you use? Instead of changing the amps, set the SoC setting instead. That way would only charge when it met the threshold you set. If you want to reduce what drains the battery you could also disable sentry, overheat protection etc.

What is the best practice to leave it on charge for long duration guys (6 weeks away time for me). Leave it plugged into the Tesla Wall charger at 50% max capacity or connect it to a 110-120v regular GFCI wall charger with the cable that came with the Model Y.

You connect the cable that comes with the Model Y to the a regular 110v wall socket ?

Yes, the Mobile Connector can be plugged into a standard 120V 15A (or 20A) outlet and it will charge at 12A. You can also get various adapters for other outlets. For example, if you have a 120V 20A outlet you can get an adapter from Tesla and you will charge at 16A. In both cases you just need to ensure that nothing else is on that circuit otherwise, you will overdrawn on that circuit and the breaker will trip.

The Wall Connector is a hardwired device and can be configured as being on a 20, 30, 40, 50 or 60 amp circuit. This will, of course, depend on the wiring.