Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is the website that tells you if you have the new MCU?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I couldnt remember it to save my life so I created some shortcuts that are easier to remember/type. This was for my own convenience but go ahead and use them if it helps.

mcu.voltmoto.com (MCU Info Script)
waze.voltmoto.com (Waze Browser)

That is incorrect. There have been reports that whatsmyua.info is giving false info for those who have the updated mcu.

http://teslamcu.xyz/ is the correct website to check which mcu you have.

Thank you. That website confirms I have the new MCU, whereas the other one was returning "undefined". I picked up my new Model X yesterday, and was certain it had the new MCU because it was blazingly fast compared to my older Model S.

Here is the website that worked better for me:
Teslatap.com/mcu

Sadly, it says I have the MCU1, even though my Model S was built in Feb 2018, so I missed it by days or weeks. I will be very interested in a possible hardware upgrade. Interesting tidbit, the website says MCU2 supports 5Ghz Wifi

Anyhow, any information on possible upgrade cost and any limitations or downsides or differences between an upgrade and an original factory build with MCU2 would be most welcome. I will post if I find anything.

Attachments

• 198BF903-07B1-47E4-AEF0-A7948DFE15E0.jpeg
    198BF903-07B1-47E4-AEF0-A7948DFE15E0.jpeg
    535.1 KB · Views: 590
  • Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
Since Tesla removed AM radio from the Model S specifications after MCU2 became available, it's likely you can verify if you have an MCU2 by checking in the media player if AM radio is available. If it is, you likely have MCU1. If it isn't, then you likely have MCU2.

Since the Model X never had AM radio, this check won't work on the X.

Teslatap.com/mcu

Sadly, it says I have the MCU1, even though my Model S was built in Feb 2018, so I missed it by days or weeks. I will be very interested in a possible hardware upgrade. Interesting tidbit, the website says MCU2 supports 5Ghz Wifi

Anyhow, any information on possible upgrade cost and any limitations or downsides or differences between an upgrade and an original factory build with MCU2 would be most welcome. I will post if I find anything.

Teslatap.com/mcu

(Don’t forget, to find out what MCU you have, use your Tesla in-car web browser and go to Teslatap.com/MCU)

Something I would dearly love to get corroboration on from all you good folks out there: there may be some important new features that have only shown up for models with MCU2.

I saw two features on my Sep test drive of a 2018 Model S that didn’t show up in my subsequently-purchased inventory Model S car that was made in Feb 2018. I wrote that off to the dealer having newer software, but now that I have v9 I still don’t see those features, so I suspect they are MCU2 only. Here’s what I saw, unless I was hallucinating, always possible when test driving a car that is 3x more expensive than anything purchased before:

1. iPhone integration: after synching and selecting music, the touch screen on the test drive car showed the playlists from my phone, which was pretty nice. OK so I couldn’t drill into the playlist but I could at least select it and play it. Now V9 and still no such feature. What I really want of course is to select music from my phone by voice commands, since I can use the fast and decent quality bluetooth connection from my phone, and mos of the other options are internet streaming which can get iffy when out in the boonies here in northern Arizona. I will experiment using the phone’s Siri, but would really rather just use the built-in Tesla stuff for everything.

2. Much more important: using the voice commands, In the Tesla test drive car I was able to “navigate to contact”, meaning I said “navigate to Mary Smith” and it would find her in my contacts, load the address and start navigation. Very nice, although totally what I would expect for a luxury car. I was really astounded when I couldn’t do that with my own car, even with the new software V9 just released. I have read many threads on this, everyone says well you can find the contact and then press the screen, well the whole point is not having to look at or touch the screen to navigate to your friends houses when they live In a rabbit warren of dead-end streets. CAN SOMEONE TRY THIS WITH MCU2?

3. Are there more?

Thanks much for your help. If I can confirm that the navigate on contact name is an MCU2 only feature not planned for MCU1, and maybe some other features, I will definitely start bugging the Service Centers for pricing out an upgrade. Faster reload of one of my favorite nerdy web pages would just be a bonus.;)

By the way, Plex offers voice commands on your own music library with Alexa.

Has anyone figured out a way to have an auxiliary audio input for the sounds system? We could then have a small Plex server in the car with all of our media and then be able to playback music any way we want to with Alexa even coordinating the playback of our own media.