Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is this piece on the rear view mirror?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had a mobile tech install a new rear view mirror under warranty and we had a heck of a time getting this loop to snag on the trim piece that surrounds the base while putting everything back together. Anyone have any idea of what this is? I am pretty sure we got it but I can go back and make 100% sure if this is important at all.

1685494873871.png

It is not important. It is a tether for the plastic shroud that goes around the top mount of the rearview mirror. It allows the plastic shroud to hang while you “do work” in that area. If you can eliminate it because things are still opened up, go for it. One less place to rattle.

It is not important. It is a tether for the plastic shroud that goes around the top mount of the rearview mirror. It allows the plastic shroud to hang while you “do work” in that area. If you can eliminate it because things are still opened up, go for it. One less place to rattle.
Thank you for the excellent information. If it does ever rattle a pry tool and a little force pops the piece off rather easily. Thanks again!

The purpose of the tether is to keep pieces from hitting you during a collision.

True. That is another reason. Perhaps even intended as primary reason even though it is one of the snuggest plastic pieces in the car and a pain to get off. People will most likely get hit by a metal Yeti water canister and 100s of other things potentially in their car. So this little tether in the interior plastic piece is not going to save my life. The elimination of thr part and associated annoying rattle will add years to my life and is good calculated risk for me lol.