Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is this?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey All,

I knew going into my purchase I wasn’t getting the quality materials used in cars at a similar price point, and I am ok with it. However I am a little frustrated if these things aren’t covered by warranty. Can you guys take a look at these photos and let me know your thoughts? One is in my tire well on the driver side and I don’t think it’s something that is even possible to be user error. That being said, I’ve had the car for 3 months and I am almost at 12k miles. The second I noticed because it was leaving an indent in the insulation material cushioning on the rear passenger door. The third is a sensor that is indented, not sure how that happens either. Has never happened in any of our previous cars.

Again I don’t mind the lack of detail, but I do really dislike the fact that they won’t warrant their craftsmanship inside of the first year.

Attachments

• 92ECACAB-FBF0-4D76-85A0-6D3FDD178083.jpeg
    92ECACAB-FBF0-4D76-85A0-6D3FDD178083.jpeg
    60.5 KB · Views: 74
  • AEABD07E-042C-4440-9A8B-0D04AC821F1E.jpeg
    AEABD07E-042C-4440-9A8B-0D04AC821F1E.jpeg
    40.1 KB · Views: 68
  • F35B539F-9A63-485C-85AD-6232611D5660.jpeg
    F35B539F-9A63-485C-85AD-6232611D5660.jpeg
    52.5 KB · Views: 63
  • D3541A15-6FCA-498B-883C-C628BCF0310C.jpeg
    D3541A15-6FCA-498B-883C-C628BCF0310C.jpeg
    48.5 KB · Views: 61
  • B7C94C34-A2D3-4955-ADE4-E9E2877EBAA0.jpeg
    B7C94C34-A2D3-4955-ADE4-E9E2877EBAA0.jpeg
    85.6 KB · Views: 67
  • 163089C5-A949-4F24-A7E9-7333513E6F9B.jpeg
    163089C5-A949-4F24-A7E9-7333513E6F9B.jpeg
    102.5 KB · Views: 65
Have tried to pop the sensor back out? What about pushing the fender liner back behind the fender lip? The tape is suppose to be tucked behind the door panel and is attached to the weather seal/sound insulation. Did you ask for all these issues to be addressed already and did you purchase it new?

Have tried to pop the sensor back out? What about pushing the fender liner back behind the fender lip? The tape is suppose to be tucked behind the door panel and is attached to the weather seal/sound insulation. Did you ask for all these issues to be addressed already and did you purchase it new?

Purchased new 3 months ago. I set up an apppintment for rattles on the dash and two of the three above. They told me it would be roughly $250. I was a little upset about that. I just feel like I shouldn’t have to pay for these things. A family member owns an auto body shop so he could most likely fix it, but I would rather Tesla do it if it requires taking things apart.

Sorry for the confusion, I wasn’t referencing the tape, there is a piece hanging down on the door with wires in it. No idea what it is but my assumption is that it should be inside of the door. I didn’t see a way for me to do it.

The sensor is pushed in because it was not snapped into place when the car was built. Tesla should be responsible fir fixing that on their dime. I had that problem with me sensor and they took car if it fir me (years ago) for no cost. My car did not have the sensors from the factory, but rather was installed by Tesla as a retrofit.

Reactions: AW9nineteen
first don’t set up an appointment under rattles. That’s specified in the warranty as not covered and then they tell you they’ll charge you to fix it. Rather set up under other and attach pictures then in the notes explain the issues.

also these look like things a mobile tech could fix. Try that route if possible.

Reactions: mswlogo
The door panel pops off like any other car. Two bolts and a few plastic clips. That dangling wire from the door panel looks like the connector for that puddle light that looks like it didn’t illuminate.
similar coiner or is also used for the ambient lighting on cars that had it.

Easy fix. Someone must have disassembled the door for some reason

Your relative in the body business could get it together in 10 minutes or so...

first don’t set up an appointment under rattles. That’s specified in the warranty as not covered and then they tell you they’ll charge you to fix it. Rather set up under other and attach pictures then in the notes explain the issues.

also these look like things a mobile tech could fix. Try that route if possible.

Thanks everyone. What about the tire well issue? The rattle isn’t something like stone or something. The best explanation would be it sounds like either plastic rubbing together, or when speakers made vibrations inside the car on the 90s. Maybe there’s some insulation that’s worn inside?

Thanks everyone. What about the tire well issue? The rattle isn’t something like stone or something. The best explanation would be it sounds like either plastic rubbing together, or when speakers made vibrations inside the car on the 90s. Maybe there’s some insulation that’s worn inside?
Not sure what it sounds like. Do you have a recording of the sound