Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Is Your First Memory of Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Posting here because most on the forums would have heard about Tesla right around when they first brought out the S, but moderators please move if needed.

Anyway I was thinking about how interested I am in all things Tesla, especially product-wise, and what fuels it. Then I tried to recall the first time I became aware of this car. As I recall, my brother-in-law handed me his laptop to show me a photo of this pristine white, large 4-door coupe so gorgeously beautiful it was painful, and it made me feel like I absolutely had to have it. And this was before learning about all its EV features and stuff.

Fast forward less than a decade and my bro-in-law, his wife (my sister) and myself are now driving three of the dang things...

Just wondering what everybody else's first awareness experiences were like.

Reactions: Dre78
I first learned of Tesla many years a go, when an article on a car's website mentioned the fact that this "small electric coupè called Tesla" was the new fashion for reach Silicon Valley billionaires.
Since then I've been following Tesla development till when I first test drove a Model S in late 2016, placed my order beginning 2017 and received my "La Fulminante" in September 2017.

Reactions: mrbulk
Great question! I remember reading an article about a new company that was predicted to quickly go broke making a flashy red electric modified Lotus for big money and that George Clooney was a believer and bought one. Interesting but didn't really think much of it until a bit later in 2009 I really took notice when I saw Elon on Letterman (see below) and was blown away by the concept and the design of the Model S, from there I went deep on research and bought into the idea that electric was feasible and the future.

Reactions: mrbulk and Dre78
My first memory goes back to the beginning of the company. I had heard of a company that was trying to build a desirable high performance car back in early mid 2000s. I have been following the company since then and wanted a S when they were first unveiled in 2009. Finally got my wish last year when I bought a CPO Model S.

I first heard of Tesla in an article about some company that was trying to make electric cars and having trouble with multiple speed transmissions, but that wasn't particularly memorable. What I most remember was the Model S reveal and how much I wanted one, well hard work and perseverance paid off and now I have one, and love it just as much as I thought I would back then.

I *think* I had heard of Tesla a bit after the Roadster came out, but I don't have a specific memory of it.

My first specific memory of Tesla I can recall was an email thread between a friend and myself in 2011 or 2012. We'd email back and forth to pass the time during work, and the topic of what non-common car we'd get if we had a $100k to spend on it. He said this company called Tesla just came out what a really awesome, totally electric sedan, the Model S. I was like "eh, I'd rather have a Fisker Karma."

Four or five years later I bought a CPO Model S. I guess he was right.

• Funny
I was watching something on the history channel, maybe Modern Marvels, and they showed the Tesla roadster. I was pretty young then, several years away from even being eligible to drive. I passively followed Tesla for a few years before falling in love with the Model S shortly after it was released.

Friends would talk about an electric car using Lotus body. How blazing fast a car like that could be, but range would be an issue. Then debating whether Fisker or Tesla would rein supreme; everyone liked Fisker style but felt Tesla was more revolutionary. Wish I had bought Tesla stock back then, when it was lingering around $30.

Reactions: mrbulk
I had first read about Tesla when the Roadster was announced but what really stands out is the time around 2009 or 2010, I was driving through Santa Barbara and actually got behind one in traffic, just seeing the car for the first time made me want one! then the S was released and I really wanted one as it was a practical, useful car, now with the 3 I finally have one, it was a long wait but worth it.

Reactions: Dre78 and mrbulk