Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Percent is Your Tesla Charged to While at Home?

What Percent is Your Tesla Charged to While at Home on a Regular Basis?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When GM initially announced the first fire recall, it advised customers not to charge to 100% and offered an interim software that limited charging to 94%, since GM believed that being at 100% increased the risk of fire. Through various updates to the recalls, GM seems to consistently believe that 100% state-of-charge had the highest risk of catching fire, but also later noted that a history of deep discharging also increased the risk.
For trafitional lithium ion batteries (non LFP) there is a higher risk for fire at high SOC.
Still we need some kind of defect for a fire to happen.

For lithium polymer I know as low as exceeding 4.25V is deemed dangerous.
4.20V is the 100% limit.

It is important that the BMS/battery system never ocercharges any cell.

I wouldnt worry about these things using a Tesla.

When GM initially announced the first fire recall, it advised customers not to charge to 100% and offered an interim software that limited charging to 94%, since GM believed that being at 100% increased the risk of fire. Through various updates to the recalls, GM seems to consistently believe that 100% state-of-charge had the highest risk of catching fire, but also later noted that a history of deep discharging also increased the risk.
Actually as per linked, they said not to charge above 90% or below 30%. The fires that have known SOCs occurred either above or below that range.

But my point is there is a strong correlation effect here, where most people have their cars sit at or below 100%. For example, I'm fairly confident no fires occured at 1%, but that's because few if any discharge to 1%. Basically even if the casual relation has nothing at all to do with SOC, you would expect most cases (especially the ones that occured prior to SOC limits or recommendations) to occur at 100% because a vast majority of people just plug it in and never bother to set charge limits.

Reactions: GSP
I don't know what you guys talking about, my local tesla advisor said just charge it like your cellphone, charge it whenever you can and keep it 100%
Funny, I always charge my phone and smartwatch like I charge my Model 3. I stop at 60% SOC. While most iPhone 14Pro users report only about 90% after a year, I still have 100%!

Funny, I always charge my phone and smartwatch like I charge my Model 3. I stop at 60% SOC. While most iPhone 14Pro users report only about 90% after a year, I still have 100%!
I wonder what chemistry Apple uses in their batteries. Problem is most charge overnight and it always goes up to 100% while you're sleeping.

Overnight charging is convenient, but "doing it wrong." Difference is that no one expects a cell phone to last 15 years like many cars can (and while a high-quality smartphone is not "cheap" it is still well under 10% the price of a new EV, even a Bolt.)

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
I wonder what chemistry Apple uses in their batteries. Problem is most charge overnight and it always goes up to 100% while you're sleeping.
There is not very much difference between the chemistries.

iPhone added a function e few years back where it recognize the time you get up from bed.
It only charges slightly initially if needed (maybe to 30-50%, I havent checked) and then it fill up the r st so it it done shortly before your alarm goes off in the morning, effectively reducing the time at high SOC.

This can be seen by the note ”optimized charging” when you connect it to the charger at bed time.
Overnight charging is convenient, but "doing it wrong." Difference is that no one expects a cell phone to last 15 years like many cars can (and while a high-quality smartphone is not "cheap" it is still well under 10% the price of a new EV, even a Bolt.)

I would have prefered a setting for charging level. 50-60% would be enough for me most days as it can be charged in car and at work etc, and the ”stay low” would cut the degradation in half.

I usually charge in the car during the day, sometimes at the desk etc, effectively reducing the cycles size (DoD).

I have 85% capacity according to the iphone battery health, (almost 3 years old iphone 12 pro) still my new job incorporates a lot of time surfing so I often use 100-0% days at work.
It would be possible to save the battery more but for a phone that is changed regularly it isnt wort it.
I have changed batteries on old ones for the kids, its doable and not expensive.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
I charge to 55 percent. and usually it runs down to 48 in a days drive. I charge it back up to 55. I could set it lower, but don't want to cut potential performance in my M3P. Although I rarely ever punch it and drive in chill mode.
Performance is not affected in chill mode because it’s already slow. You can go down to single digits for battery and chill mode will still not be further limited by SOC.

Exactly, it's utility vs longevity, but since replacing a phone battery is fairly inexpensive, the equation is skewed towards utility. I only do the 60% thing to test out my theory on whether it'll improve longevity. I like to keep my phone and watch for 3yrs, so if I can keep it above 90% by the end of year 3, I'll be a lot happier than if it's down around 80%.

Reactions: AAKEE
Exactly, it's utility vs longevity, but since replacing a phone battery is fairly inexpensive, the equation is skewed towards utility. I only do the 60% thing to test out my theory on whether it'll improve longevity. I like to keep my phone and watch for 3yrs, so if I can keep it above 90% by the end of year 3, I'll be a lot happier than if it's down around 80%.
I would be doubtful you could detect a 10% delta in battery capacity of a cell phone over a 3 year period. If that cell phone was turned off and stored in an exact same configuration then possibly. But the changing resource usage of Apps, Wifi, Bluetooth (which all get more resource extensive over time). Would affect a cell phone more than the 10% degradation. Cars of course are not the same thing, we can easily see the differences in less than a year.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC and zoomer0056
There is not very much difference between the chemistries.

iPhone added a function e few years back where it recognize the time you get up from bed.
It only charges slightly initially if needed (maybe to 30-50%, I havent checked) and then it fill up the r st so it it done shortly before your alarm goes off in the morning, effectively reducing the time at high SOC.

This can be seen by the note ”optimized charging” when you connect it to the charger at bed time.

I would have prefered a setting for charging level. 50-60% would be enough for me most days as it can be charged in car and at work etc, and the ”stay low” would cut the degradation in half.

I usually charge in the car during the day, sometimes at the desk etc, effectively reducing the cycles size (DoD).

I have 85% capacity according to the iphone battery health, (almost 3 years old iphone 12 pro) still my new job incorporates a lot of time surfing so I often use 100-0% days at work.
It would be possible to save the battery more but for a phone that is changed regularly it isnt wort it.
I have changed batteries on old ones for the kids, its doable and not expensive.
Interesting note from my end … it is possible to limit the iPhone’s charge with shortcuts and a smart plug. I set a smart plug to turn off the charger when battery rises above 80 percent. And to turn it on when battery drops below 75 percent.

I’ve only recently done this … my current iPhone 13 Pro is at 84 percent capacity. It’s very annoying to hand it down with such poor capacity after only two years … hoping better charging practices will solve this moving forward.

Reactions: johnny_cakes
I would be doubtful you could detect a 10% delta in battery capacity of a cell phone over a 3 year period.
If charged to 80-100% and left there, it would probably degrade about 8% during the two years.
Kept at 50% or below, it would cut the calendar aging in half.

Reducing the cycle depth during days by partly charge would male a big difference as well. Probably cut the cyclic degradation in half also at least for people that use the phone much and get more or less full cycles each day.
Interesting note from my end … it is possible to limit the iPhone’s charge with shortcuts and a smart plug. I set a smart plug to turn off the charger when battery rises above 80 percent. And to turn it on when battery drops below 75 percent.

I’ve only recently done this … my current iPhone 13 Pro is at 84 percent capacity. It’s very annoying to hand it down with such poor capacity after only two years … hoping better charging practices will solve this moving forward.
Your 80% to 75% most probably keep your battery on the high calendar aging side all the time.

Using the ios / iphone optimized charging doesnt charge high overnight until just before wake-up time, so I’m quite dure your solution is not better for the battery.

As I think I wrote earlier, the basic thing is = calendar aging is about as ”bad” at 80% as at 100%. In many tests 80% is the worst, worse than 100%.

Not to scare anyone, but to make clear that 80% is no sweet spot at all:
IMG_9094.jpeg

Below, actual Tesla model S cells
IMG_2969.jpeg

IMG_5959.jpeg

I usually do one almost complete cycle each day. A lot of surfing most days, both at work(during rediness time).
I often do a part charge, like charge in car during a drive or when having the possibility to charge at the office or when taking a nap.
Closing in to three years and 90% health according to the iphone itself.

I havent really tried to save the phone as I often change after about 2-3 years and a battery is cheap.
It would have been possible to reduce the wear a lot, byt as I see it npt worth it on a phone.

Last edited:
Your 80% to 75% most probably keep your battery on the high calendar aging side all the time.

Using the ios / iphone optimized charging doesnt charge high overnight until just before wake-up time, so I’m quite dure your solution is not better for the battery.

As I think I wrote earlier, the basic thing is = calendar aging is about as ”bad” at 80% as at 100%. In many tests 80% is the worst, worse than 100%.

Not to scare anyone, but to make clear that 80% is no sweet spot at all:
View attachment 975205

Below, actual Tesla model S cells
View attachment 975206

View attachment 975207

I usually do one almost complete cycle each day. A lot of surfing most days, both at work(during rediness time).
I often do a part charge, like charge in car during a drive or when having the possibility to charge at the office or when taking a nap.
Closing in to three years and 90% health according to the iphone itself.

I havent really tried to save the phone as I often change after about 2-3 years and a battery is cheap.
It would have been possible to reduce the wear a lot, byt as I see it npt worth it on a phone.
I think you read this too quickly … as what I said was I haven’t started this regimen until very very recently. The health of my phones battery is based on normal iOS behavior.

IOS optimized charging in my experience does not work properly and virtually always charges to 100 percent without pausing at 80. It’s an unfortunately poorly implemented solution … even more so because I have to keep checking on it and realizing it never does its job.

There are some signs that iOS may get a simple battery charge limit feature. That would make life simpler for everyone.

I always have a charger at my desk and nightstand, so the vast majority of the time I’m hovering at the charge limit.

I think you read this too quickly … as what I said was I haven’t started this regimen until very very recently. The health of my phones battery is based on normal iOS behavior.
But still it will not be better, if you are using but between 75-80% all the time if I understand you settings right.

Your 84% is probably close to what my children get after probably a bit less than two years.
Reaching 80% probably is close to the value where the battery might start to feel broken or not good, I guess.

If you can set it to charge to 60%, and then recharge whenever concinient instead of when reaching very low single digit, the calendar aging will be lower and the cyclic aging also.

IOS optimized charging in my experience does not work properly and virtually always charges to 100 percent without pausing at 80. It’s an unfortunately poorly implemented solution … even more so because I have to keep checking on it and realizing it never does its job.

There are some signs that iOS may get a simple battery charge limit feature. That would make life simpler for everyone.

I always have a charger at my desk and nightstand, so the vast majority of the time I’m hovering at the charge limit.

Reactions: LostVector
But still it will not be better, if you are using but between 75-80% all the time if I understand you settings right.

Your 84% is probably close to what my children get after probably a bit less than two years.
Reaching 80% probably is close to the value where the battery might start to feel broken or not good, I guess.

If you can set it to charge to 60%, and then recharge whenever concinient instead of when reaching very low single digit, the calendar aging will be lower and the cyclic aging also.
Yes, I will likely lower the charging range ... I literally only set this up two days ago. :). Partly borne out of frustration with the terrible battery capacity over time ... I actually saw most of the degradation around the 1 year mark and it seems to have leveled out in the past 6 months up to the 2 year mark now. I don't normally notice the loss of battery life but the extent of it this time around caught my attention ... especially since i'm handing it down.