Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

what phone VPN works with Tesla app?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I use NordVPN. The last time I traveled, the Tesla app worked, but on some previous trips, it didn’t. When it didn’t work, I couldn’t log in to my account on the Tesla website either. I don’t know if the reason it worked in some cases and not others is due to changes to NordVPN, changes to the Tesla app, geographical location, or some combinations of those things.

Wireguard works great with the Tesla app, and everything else.
I've got a Wireguard server at my house that I can tunnel into. For this I use a GLiNet GL-A1300.
I also subscribe to AzireVPN which has Wireguard servers around the world. It's been one of the few ways I can break through the "Great Firewall of China" when I travel there.

It's not for the app specifically, it's to protect your connection to the internet when using a public network via WiFi. I always use a VPN on any WiFi away from home. It's not as important if you don't connect your phone to WiFi, but I do to reduce cellular data usage.
I imagine the app uses very little data.
At least here in RO we usually have ~10GB data plan so I forgot about lowering cellular data usage :)

It's not for the app specifically, it's to protect your connection to the internet when using a public network via WiFi. I always use a VPN on any WiFi away from home.

One caveat here: VPNs aren’t necessarily more safe than a public WiFi network, it comes down to the details of how the VPN service is ran and who runs it. There are VPN providers who are as unscrupulous (or more) than the operators of public WiFi networks, and they can eavesdrop or MITM your traffic just as easily. Depending on the VPN configuration, you may not even be more protected from other users of the VPN, just like you wouldn’t necessarily be protected from other users of public WiFi.

Commercial VPN services also run into issues of reputation, since you’ll usually be sharing a public-facing IP address with many other VPN users, some who aren’t behaving properly or have compromised systems. That IP address, or if it happens enough, all of the VPN provider’s IP addresses, may get blocked from an app/service/website, which may explain why the Tesla app works for some VPNs and not others.

Of course, you can run your own VPN server, at home or in AWS/GCP/Azure, but as someone who did so for several years, the negligible security and privacy benefit wasn’t worth the maintenance. Everything of importance should be end-to-end encrypted today anyway (including any traffic to/from the Tesla app or your car).