Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What product do you use for the deepest wettest looking gloss?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey, Urbancowboy,
What you described is actually the normal application process for PolySeal. First you apply it using a damp MF towel and then dry/buff to a shine using a second dry MF towel. Because PolySeal contains carnauba and synthetic waxes, it is often necessary to use the second, dry MF towel to buff the wax to a beautiful shine. I think of the first damp towel as the applicator and the second dry towel as the one that buffs/removes the product. I personally like this experience as it reminds me of applying a wax and then buffing it to a shine. It is very satisfying to use.

But if you prefer a one-step application, there is an alternative application that would probably work better for you. Since your car is already wet with the ONR solution, you don't need to use the dampened MF towel to apply the PolySeal. An alternative application method with a car that is already wet after a wash is to spray a small amount of PolySeal directly onto the wet, clean panel and then dry using a clean MF towel. Also, if you have quite a bit of streaking, that could be a sign that you may be using too much product. You only need one spray per panel.

If you don't like the need to buff the wax to a shine, then you may prefer the experience of other ceramic-infused spray sealants that do not contain wax such as Opticoat's HyperSeal or Technicians Choice Ceramic Detail Spray. I recall really enjoying TC Ceramic Detail Spray as a drying aid. It leaves a really slick feeling under the towel as you wipe it and smells like Pina Colada. I prefer PolySeal over TC CDS as I think it amps up the gloss more than TC CDS.

Hope that helps,
joebruin77

Thanks! I didn’t know the 2-step was normal. Thought I was doing something wrong. I am probably using too much product though. One spray per panel is nothing. At that rate, I’ll have the bottle for years :)

The shine is fantastic!
F4F53DDC-6904-4396-954B-E8836A739CCA.jpeg

Thanks! I didn’t know the 2-step was normal. Thought I was doing something wrong. I am probably using too much product though. One spray per panel is nothing. At that rate, I’ll have the bottle for years :)

The shine is fantastic!
View attachment 602908

That is a great pic! Your M3 looks awesome. It's so shiny I can make out your tree and basketball hoop in the reflection.

Reactions: Urbancowboy
Most ceramic-infused spray sealants are safe for PPF, but I would email the manufacturer and ask to double check.

I have to give the disclaimer that I have not personally used Shine Armor. That said, I have seen several reviews online about how Shine Armor breaks down very easily and is not durable at all. Here is one such review:

In this review of 20 ceramic spray sealants, Shine Armor was the first to completely fail after 1 or 2 washes. I personally would avoid Shine Armor and F11. I would instead choose Griot's 3 in 1 Spray Sealant, The Last Coat 2.0, Opticoat Hyperseal, Xtreme Solutions's PolySeal, Technicians Choice Ceramic Detail Spray, or even Turtle Wax Seal and Shine.

Hope that helps.
Hey buddy, thanks for the reply and your input. I appreciate it and will ask my guy who installed the PPF kit. I also am considering the other product you mentioned but read about it and I just read the reply below. I already knew how to apply it but the fact that it has carnauba in it to apply while moist and then buff out dry, is just another thing I need to make sure won’t hurt/effect that PPF film but like we both said, best to check first. I’ll update ASAP as others may have the same question. Cheers for now

Hey buddy, thanks for the reply and your input. I appreciate it and will ask my guy who installed the PPF kit. I also am considering the other product you mentioned but read about it and I just read the reply below. I already knew how to apply it but the fact that it has carnauba in it to apply while moist and then buff out dry, is just another thing I need to make sure won’t hurt/effect that PPF film but like we both said, best to check first. I’ll update ASAP as others may have the same question. Cheers for now

Hi,Esamuel87,
Glad you found the info helpful. Just to clarify, with PolySeal, although it does contain some carnauba wax, you do not "buff" if hard like a traditional paste wax. I would describe it more like a WOWO product (wipe on, wipe off). It comes off super easy, no force or pressure is required. It feels slick under the MF towel.

I have not found any current info online that carnauba wax actually harms PPF. My theory is that many years ago, when PPF first came on the market and sometimes yellowed over time, the fear was that carnauba would somehow cause more of a yellowing appearance. But with current, more advanced PPF, yellowing is extremely unlikely to occur and, IMO, will not be caused by carnauba wax.

You do want to avoid any sealants that contain petroleum-based ingredients such as Kerosene or Naphtha. I emailed Xtreme Solutions, the manufacturer of PolySeal and they verified that PolySeal does not contain any Kerosene or Naptha.