Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

what sounds are normal and what's not normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry - brand new AWD non-P owner here with questions about noises my car makes:

1 - during battery charging is there supposed to be a hum?
2 - i hear a fair amount of whirring and clunks when the car turns on (ie. when I open the door in the AM for the first time) - normal?
3 - when going in reverse it sounds like I'm dragging something - normal?

Sorry - brand new AWD non-P owner here with questions about noises my car makes:

2 - i hear a fair amount of whirring and clunks when the car turns on (ie. when I open the door in the AM for the first time) - normal?

1 and 2 are normal, general cooling and HVAC related sounds mostly.

number 3 I have not heard of anyone having that sound and I can confirm at least in my case it doesn't do that. Mine is eerily quiet when i back out.

Reactions: dhrivnak
1 and 2 are normal, general cooling and HVAC related sounds mostly.

number 3 I have not heard of anyone having that sound and I can confirm at least in my case it doesn't do that. Mine is eerily quiet when i back out.
Hi thanks for the reply - #3 sounds almost like a motor winding up. I'll have to see if it's loud enough to catch on a recording.

Teslatap has a write up on normal Tesla sounds. Clunking from the solenoid, and whirring is normal when the car wakes (sometimes it wakes itself up spontaneously). Not sure about #3 either. I haven’t heard that myself.

Is your driveway sloped? Mine is and I hear a sound that sounds like it is probably similar to yours. I am wondering if it is the brakes and we just notice it because the car is silent otherwise?