Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front suspension creak when turning but Tesla says normal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2020 model x that just took delivery from Tesla Carlsbad. 36k miles. Car makes this creak sound which I would naturally think it’s a non-greased ball joint. But Tesla claims this is “normal noise” despite technician recognizing he heard this unusual noise. What do you guys think.

This is different noise than the squeaking with braking on. This happens without breaking.

This sounds like a front upper control arms issue. Had that on mine. Service Center replaced them under warranty.

Work done: Correction: Control Arm - Upper - Front - Pair (Remove and Replace)

Parts on invoice are:
FRONT UPPER CONTROL ARM ASSEMBLY RIGHT HAND(1027327-00-F)
FRONT UPPER CONTROL ARM ASSEMBLY LEFT HAND(1027322-00-F)

Zero dollar invoice.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: scottf200
This sounds like a front upper control arms issue. Had that on mine. Service Center replaced them under warranty.
Work done: Correction: Control Arm - Upper - Front - Pair (Remove and Replace)
Parts on invoice are:
FRONT UPPER CONTROL ARM ASSEMBLY RIGHT HAND(1027327-00-F)
FRONT UPPER CONTROL ARM ASSEMBLY LEFT HAND(1027322-00-F)
Zero dollar invoice.
Hope this helps!
Same for me. They didn't even need to do a test drive after sitting in it and turning the steering wheel. Well known issue and even out of warranty they seem to only be charging for parts. ie. $90/side and <$200 out the door.

On the other hand, mine and others seem to be more than steerwheel turning noise. It was over small bumps in the road.

Reactions: NJturtlePower
Same for me. They didn't even need to do a test drive after sitting in it and turning the steering wheel. Well known issue and even out of warranty they seem to only be charging for parts. ie. $90/side and <$200 out the door.

On the other hand, mine and others seem to be more than steerwheel turning noise. It was over small bumps in the road.
Thanks guys, yes mine would squeak over bumps as well intermittently. The squeaking over turns can be easily reproduced and bothers me the most so I only mentioned that part.

I pushed back and going to show then the problem again today. Will report back.

Thanks guys, yes mine would squeak over bumps as well intermittently. The squeaking over turns can be easily reproduced and bothers me the most so I only mentioned that part.

I pushed back and going to show then the problem again today. Will report back.

Here was my invoice with them just charging for the parts.

9M6BSca.jpg

I'm happy to report that during 2nd visit, lead technician diagnosed the problem easily. He knew it's coming from the lower control arm bushing, and simply applied grease and the noise went away. So no replacement and fix is easy for this particular noise.

Now the ranting part. I dont' understand why the SC can't just say something like "Hey we think the part is all fine, but we applied some grease and the noise will probably be gone now". Easy, Done.

The problem with Tesla is that, the tactic to avoid minimal effort by first denying nothing is wrong, then asking customer to pick up the car is just plainly annoying. They are basically training their customers to push back and demanding escalation all the time. Next time guess what I will say upfront? "I want the lead technician to diagnose this".

Doesn't making a hole to inject grease cause dirt to go into the part, making it more prone to noise relatively quickly afterwards? The point of the rubber boot is to protect the joint from getting dirt inside. Usually, these things should have grease fittings.
It is a needle so a small hole that 'encloses' on itself. 100s of these have been done *because* there was no grease fitting as all the videos state.

Wonder what Tesla tech meant by "we applied some grease"

It is a needle so a small hole that 'encloses' on itself. 100s of these have been done *because* there was no grease fitting as all the videos state.

Wonder what Tesla tech meant by "we applied some grease"
Actually, in my case, I believe the lead technician raised the car, and applied great to only LOWER control arms, and I watched him do it from a distance. Obviously that was the fix for me. It's been a few weeks and I have never heard the squeak yet. Unfortunately this does mean I had the different problems than the common UPPER control arm issue. Well, it is just a matter of time I guess.

*grease
Actually, in my case, I believe the lead technician raised the car, and applied great to only LOWER control arms, and I watched him do it from a distance. Obviously that was the fix for me. It's been a few weeks and I have never heard the squeak yet. Unfortunately this does mean I had the different problems than the common UPPER control arm issue. Well, it is just a matter of time I guess.