Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What started you investing in Tesla (@Jackl1956 thread)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Take some time and read up on Tesla's and Generators and get back with me, please.

My plan definitely requires a few technological differences between the semi architecture and the existing Tesla vehicle architecture. I am hoping with Battery day and more details to be released on the Semi soon into production that it will be able to do what I want.

The key factors would be:

- ability to use the battery for supplemental uses. Such as powering the house on the back of the chassis. And also do so while the vehicle is in motion.

- ability to accept a charge while in motion. Generator or solar while on the road.

With those two things as possible, I am all in! If they’re not possible then I would probably go back to a freight liner chassis and be disappointed for years to come

Thanks,
Wayne

Back in the summer of 2011 I read an article about Elon Musk and the roadster and this new project they were coming out with. My brother and I drove two hours to Princeton, NJ where they had a preproduction prototype of the Model S on a static display at some golf course with a Roadster for the weekend. We didn't even get to sit in it, just look at it behind the ropes although we were allowed in the Roadster. Coming back form that day trip, I talked to my brother all about the stock and decided to give it a try. I had never invested in anything before outside of my company 401k.

As luck would have, it I had just left my job and was forced to roll my restrictive 401k mutual funds into an IRA where I could invest in whatever I chose. I started small with a few thousand dollars into some risky startup venture called Tesla, but it began to pay off. Into 2013 I got more interested in options and leverage on a small scale. Initially I lost a lot, but kept trying, until May 2013. Then you couldn't buy a bad call if you were bullish and it was like I won the lottery!

I took my winnings and continued to be uber bullish and a real Tesla Fanboi. Tesla traded sideways, and up and down for the next several years and I continued to increase my exposure until at one point I had basically all of my IRA money invested in Tesla, against my own judgement and future potential I held on long and strong, in and out of shares and leaps until last summer. In 2016 I waited in line at the local mall to put in a reservation on the yet to be unveiled Model 3. In 2018 I took delivery of my Model 3 and had never even seen one in person prior to the one I got in and drove home that day! Up through last summer though, my account balance was getting pretty low again, and I resigned myself that I would be working forever at that point. Then the past year happened and last month I actually decided to retire and quit my job at age 46! Everybody wanted to know if I would then sell all of my Tesla and diversify into something safer. I laughed, and then now Tesla is up more than 50% since I announced I retired. Life changing isn't even enough of a description. It was like hitting the lottery twice, only this time I was much more heavily invested and able to take advantage of it.

My dream now is to buy a Tesla Semi next year and convert it into a Super C RV with piles of solar all over the roof and a 30kW diesel generator on the back for the ultimate World Travelling Self Sufficient Electric Overland Expedition Vehicle to see the world with my wife and kids before they head off to college in 5-10 years.
I regards to the road tripping "off-grid" and the 30kw genset.
I borrowed this from AJdelange over at Cybertruck owners, he is a retired Electrical Engineer, he knows his trons and especially about generators.

"The facts are:
1)There is no problem charging a Tesla with a generator. It is true that Tesla advises against charging with "privately owned" generators. In so doing they are advising against charging from a source that may well provide power that is appreciably cleaner than what comes from your utility. But you may want to keep this caveat in mind.

2)The chargers on Tesla vehicles (except for some older ones) are limited to 11.52 kW input. A generator that produces half that amount of power will take twice as long to charge as can be obtained from a wall charger capable of the full amount.

3)The vehicle looks for 120VAC between hot and the earth wire. Normally a portable generator will not provide that. Unless this difficulty is properly overcome (grounding rod) there is some danger to personnel.

4)There are generators and generators i.e. some very good ones and some real POS. It seems a good metric is THD. If THD is under 3% [Edit] 5-6% then the generator is pretty good. Note that purely mechanical generators can produce that so that the common advice that you must use a pure sinewave generator is bad advice but pure sine does convey other advantages (and cost)."
(THD = Total Harmonic Distortion)

Another member also posted:
"You do require a ground rod, one thing we did in the military was drive them in at an angle. When we needed to pull them out we just tied the end of the rod to the back of a truck, and slowly drove forward."

upload_2020-8-29_15-33-22.gif Like Quote Reply

Last edited:
Started investing in TSLA the day after split..... had been wanting to get in for a while but looking at charts and price/timing was waiting for a leg down so I could get a better value.
Then it happened - I took delivery of my Model Y! changed my mindset immediately, my first Tesla and a paradigm shift in my brain towards investing in the company.
Changed my research from "why is this CAR company so highly valued" to why s this ENERGY company so undervalued.

Bought post split initially for $450 and have averaged down now every time I have the chance (now @$350/sh)
Just waiting for some balance transfers to clear for more dry powder!
Definitely have a new fan boy here.

Thank Thor it is Friday. While of course the end of the week makes today a bit special, to me this day is a bit more special. Today is my first anniversary as a Tesla investor. On this day last year, I purchased my first 100 (20) shares. The main motivation was my financial problem for when I retire (very small pension). I have a couple of years to go before I can retire, and apart from buying a house (with a modest mortgage) the plan was and is to save any Euro I can. In view of a zero interest rate, I decided to look into shares. I wasn't raised that we. My family saved money, didn't do loans (except for a mortgage) and at most a tiny bit in an investment fund. And that was what I did. I did stray away from that. When at university, together with two fellow student I did buy a couple of shares but knowing little about the company, that was gambling. Lost a few tens of Euro's and stopped doing that.

I was always interested in innovative / start up companies, and I happened to read in a newspaper I found in the train about a penny stock. I bought it with most of the savings (2.5k) I had, forgot about it, and landed a 10 bagger about two or three years later. I bought a 400 cc used motorcycle, and put the rest in a savings account. At one point I thought I should invest it, so I put it in the investment fund and that was a few days before a significant crash. My shares didn't recover for years.
I have been an Apple fan (less so these days, but will pick it over Windows that I have to work with for my job and was frustrated that this investment fund didn't do very well. Didn't they see how well Apple was doing. I closed the account for a downpayment for a (lousy) apartment.
At some point I started noticing that people were starting to wear white earphones, like I did. I thought I should invest in Apple. Looked into it a bit but didn't find a way. Investing in a foreign company wasn't as easy as it is these days. Should have been more persistent. You know how it ended up with Apple.

Last year, I didn't pick Apple for my investment. Tesla was my pick because I was enthusiastic about the company for years, spotting that very rare roadster on the road and model Ses that became less and less rare. At some point you would see one every 30 miles on average! And then came Model 3, which grew in popularity quickly. A company that is helping to reduce CO2 emissions and being innovative ticked boxes that are important to me. And clearly there were getting more and more on the road. So Tesla it was. At that moment I didn't know what I was getting into. I was (and to a major extent) am still a naive/novice investor. I did learn a bit, like HODL, not trying to time the market, and market makers. But let's get back to at that day one year ago where I bought my first 20 (100) shares.

Today the situation with Tesla is different from what it was one year ago. Back then, when you invested in Tesla on the 23rd of October, you would get a 20% welcome premium the next day. These days they punish you with just 0.75% to rub it in for not investing more and earlier. (I'm not complaining, just practicing at what I'm not good at: Making jokes). In any case, that raise did easy my nervousness a bit. Well, not for long. I invested more, and found out that the stock price was a roller coaster. I worried a lot about the stock price going down and having bought the shares at too high a price. Don't we all wish we could travel back to last year to invest a bit more. The number of shares grew, also because money that I had planned to spend on my new house (the first nice house I live in for decades) got repurposed. By the next quarter or so I had more money that I had planned to accumulated by the time I'm officially allowed to retire by saving diligently. That lead me to shift the goal post almost a quickly as a theist in a discussion on the validity of his religion. The originally planned amount to be saved would still not give me anything near a comfortable living (I've never bought a new car, and probably never would be able to do so). This new goal would allow me to go on a modest holiday once a year or so. And then I started to dream about retiring earlier (things changed at my job as a result of which this has become a more and more important thing).

But events escalated quickly, I had started to buy on margin (3.3% interest rate) and in February the stock price peaked. It was more money than I'd ever seen. By that time I had learned about the HODL mantra, and I saw the stock price drop and drop and drop (of course accelerated by the margin multiplier). Well, I did still have a sizeable paper profit, and life goes on.

That may be, but not for long. Covid came along, and with it the crash. I did reduce the margin a bit. The broker reduced the percentage coverage for the shares from 50% to 30% and being afraid of getting margin called, I sold shares until I no longer had the margin. The stock price kept falling. I had kept tally about how much money I had put in, and this amount was reached on the 18th of March. Fear struck that I would lose it, and I thought that if I sold then I could buy back cheaper. The seasoned veterans on this site knows that this paragraph will end up in tears. I sold all of them (except one), and in the days after I watched the stock price bounce back. I did start to buy in quickly but gingerly. Margin was soon used again and here I am now, with fewer shares and more debt than before, but also with a net amount that I couldn't have dreamt of one year ago, let alone the 18th of March.

Looking back, on that fateful day I squandered my chance of retiring really early. Currently I'm considering a wild idea: Sell my (nice) house, and use the proceeds to buy more $TRSLA shares. Live somewhere cheaply and if the stock price goes up 100% buy a new house and retire a live with modest means but without the stress of my day job which may be affecting my health currently. But in that $TRSLA joke lies the rub. People love certainty. I could close my account and have more money than I would have had otherwise. But it is not enough for what I really want, given my current situation. Having said that, I'm pleased with how things are looking. I AM Tesla. I have a great future and the volatility and uncertainly will subside.

I've been following Tesla (and TMC) a lot longer than most of you young whippersnappers. I was an electric car geek since my college days. From 1998-2003 I was on a solar car team, a combined Stanford-UC Berkeley team. Though I missed it, several of my teammates got to see a demo of the AC Propulsion Tzero in Alameda. Some time later (maybe ~2004), we heard rumors that some ex-solar car people, who apparently saw the same Tzero demo, were working on a startup to commercialize the Tzero. That startup was Tesla!

I actually started following Tesla after reading on Autoblog (https://www.autoblog.com/2006/07/20/tesla-roadster-unveiling-in-santa-monica/) about their launch party in 2006, the one where Gov. Schwarzenegger came in and plopped down a deposit. I started following TMC around 2007 during the Elon Musk vs. Martin Eberhard drama. I was very excited when Tesla acquired the NUMMI plant in my hometown of Fremont, CA. I really wanted to buy a Model S (electric car built in Fremont!), but in late 2010/early 2011 after realizing I couldn't afford the car itself I bought some shares instead.

I was working in the global Solar marketing group at my company (US multi-national industrial), focussed on the European and Asian PV market during the 2011-2013 time-frame. At that time we were putting a lot of work into thermally-conductive, electrically isolating potting compounds that would be targeted at the PV inverter and junction-box market to help with thermal management.

During one meeting I heard from a colleague in the US that this hot EV company "Tesla" had been in touch to discuss our product...

We didn't get the business with Tesla at the time (various reasons, but primarily they were moving at the speed of light, and we as this huge industrial behemoth were managing speed of sound at best...) but it is what started my interest in Tesla. I started buying the odd share here or there (other life things required capital at the time), then a major family disaster consumed half of my assets :cool: and then finally through 2018/19 I started to switch all my investments into $TSLA (to the great chagrin of my then-financial advisor). The rest for me is history.

It has been an interesting ride. I started investing in TSLA in 2013 after I took delivery of my Model S P85 and sold my Porsche 911. It was eye opening. I started just putting in $10k at a time with pre-split price between 50 and 55. Over time, it became more and more clear to me that 1) the world was going to go to EV. 2) nobody was every going to catch Tesla because of Elon. 3) the moat just keeps getting bigger. 4) Tesla is not just a car company. Even when Tesla struggled with Model X and Model 3 ramp, I just saw Tesla's lead over everyone else keep growing. I never lost faith, even when my portfolio dropped 10X on FUD and I faced big margin calls. My brother invested in TSLA because of me, and still wishes he had done more. One of my colleagues invested but then sold a lot a couple years ago, and is now jealous as I am retiring at 50, and he still has to work at 60. Another friend had bought at 170 pre-split, sold in the 300s, and then finally bought back in and went all in in the mid-700s (pre-split). I asked him why he went all in, and his reply was because I did.... :eek: Needless to say, he is extremely happy now and has more money than he ever thought he would have. Today's action has me really excited, because I see 600+ by December 21st as very attainable now. That being said, I'm just sitting and watching at this point. I don't need to take any more risks.

I wanted to start planning for retirement, as had been working for a while and really been neglecting planning. Ten years ago, had an active dislike for finance talk/stocks/. Radix malorum est cupiditas type of philosophy. Might of checked my bank balance every few months. I had lived long enough to realize that your only vote is with your money so decided to explore "ethical" funds. I quickly realized that they varied greatly with what 'they' would consider ethical. no oil? no tobacco? etc, So I figured the only one who knows my values is me!

My dad loves cars, so by extension was always reading the car mags on the can, and as I aged I to got subscriptions. I studied ecology in university and although am disappointed in myself for 'consumerism' have always held a firm belief in trying to do better to help heal the earth, and leave it a better place for the next generation. Cars, ecology and investing combined to lead me to exploring Tesla, which led me to buy some TSLA.

Unfortunately, I had ZERO idea about investing back then.

I was reading on these forums, of 'swing trading' back then, where a lot of people at that time were selling the highs (around 33 dollars, and buying the lows around 27 dollars) . The stock seemed pretty range bound for a while. So i decided to do it one day, and made the now huge mistake of selling ALL my shares to try this method, not realizing most were using their 'trading' shares. That's right when the stock shot up. Spent until last year accumulating to get back to my initial share count. As Elon notes, we learn most from negative feedback. So in an effort for others to learn, my other most common mistakes were mistimed calls (so close so many times), and selling shares trying to time the market, especially on Elon tweets. You live, you learn.

Essentially I am at 20x, when i should be at 72x, with many many more mistakes made over the years. I guess I consider myself lucky, though, as easily could of lost faith at some point and sold.

So for the newbies out there, buy and hold is a really, really good strategy. It is easy to get caught up in other people's rolls of the dice, especially when they are winning, and easy to ignore over time that there is no tried and true strategy asides buy and hold or else everyone would use it!

I have been following Tesla since about 2012 but really started seriously looking at them as an investment in 2013. At that time their market cap was about 5 billion, which I thought seemed ridiculously cheap and probably less than even the value of their patents. I was 22 at the time and decided to put about $10,000 from my Canadian Tax Free Savings Account into TSLA at around $63 per share (pre-split). I enjoyed the run up of Q1 2013 and stupidly pared a little back after that

Since then, though, I have slowly been accumulating and putting most of the $5,500-6,000 per year TFSA limit into TSLA. I did a bit of cautious swing trading for a few weeks with about a third of my shares during the big COVID dip in the spring and ended up with my same number of shares and about $16,000 cash, which I then used to purchase a slightly out of the money Jan 2022 $500 call contract (now five $160 call contracts), currently worth about $220,000.

All in all, my stake in TSLA shares/calls is now worth about $1.2 million Canadian, and it is in a tax free account meaning I will pay no tax on any of the gains when I sell and they can continue to grow tax free within the account. I have a good, well-paying job that I enjoy so I don't anticipate changing much, but it is sure nice to have that security before age thirty!

We had an early reservation (3000 ish number) and when the time came to buy the car we just couldn’t justify the 100k. This had started out as a belated 50th birthday present with a car that was supposed to start at 50k. Loved the car and went to the October beta event but just could do it. My wife mentioned something about “if you can find a way to pay for it..”

So I decided we should invest in the stock instead and never looked back. We have two Teslas these days but kept the stock which could now easily pay for both of them.

We are obviously long on TSLA....

I have meant to participate in this thread since its inception - finally am getting around to doing so. But I'm doing it in a different fashion. HERE, below, is my post from June of 2013. Enjoy!

Addenda:

• I finally recollected that the instigating factor was a late-summer 2012 article in The Economist, which at the time was our sole source of news. One of the strongest reasons for my having exiled myself from Wall St into the depths of the Alaska Range was my lack of success in acquiring investors to create an electric car company.
  • We were headed to Phoenix to visit her mom. Jenny grew up as a farmgirl in SW Minnesota, whose Dad would throw her and her bros. in the back of the pickup after each autumn's crops were in so he could prospect for gold in Arizona (and Alaska when he could get away in summers).
  • At the time I wrote the below, I'd not learned of the hyper-strong connection between Mr Musk and my investment mentor, who helped save Tesla at its nadir, and who then acquired his second Roadster - one of the fabled Final Five - in which he drove my mid-90s Dad....a story I've told elsewhere. Wonderful coincidence, and a way for me to somewhat reconcile with my deceased father, as we'd been estranged for a very long time.
Screen Shot 2020-11-18 at 6.27.40 PM.png

Last edited:
To make it short SpaceX put my eye on Elon in '18. I saw the engineering feats SpaceX was accomplishing were insane... If someone would of told me about plans to land a rocket standing up I would of thought that was "Engineerinly" impossible. But SpaceX landed two rockets at the same time! o_O Than I wondered why does he care about selling cars if they are accomplishing such feats. Than I researched Tesla. I didn't know that they were trying to get FSD. I understand and know for a fact that FSD alone is a trillion dollar feature. A game changer. I went in heavy during the All Time Lows of 2019. Drained bank accounts.... My account was negative for most of that time lol I really didn't expect Q3 of '19 to turn a profit.. I'm holding for years.

Last edited:
I’d love to hear your stories. What led you to invest in tsla?

My first real job after college was with Fidelity (pre Peter Lynch; although I adhere to the concept of buy what you know or what you like) where I learned about business. And computers. I was doing back office work and interfacing with an IBM 370 system. Meant thinking logically and systematically. Shortly after leaving Boston for Ohio I started integrating the concepts into my new workplace- bought the newly introduced IBM personal computer for bookkeeping, only to find there was no software. Had to write my own package. My fledgling investments as a rookie? Texas Instruments, Compaq Computer, Digital Equipment. Profits from Microsoft funded my house down payment and my daughter's college and post-graduate tuitions.

But this is about EVs.
A friend of mine pulled the engine out of a Mustang and put in batteries and an electric motor. I'm no EE, so I wanted to buy something like that. Tried to sign up for an experimental electric Mini, but the program only entertained folks living on the east or west coast. This would be 2012 or 2013. (About the same time that I encountered this forum.) Looked at the Mitsubishi iMiEV- terrible range and $36K. Asked my local Chevy dealer if he could get an electric Spark. That could only be sold to a resident of California or Oregon. Striking out everywhere.

[In the meantime, July 2013, bought my first lot of TSLA].

Finally, in 2014 some good news: a test drive of the Model S in Columbus, and it easily met my expectations. Two weeks later, I took my wife to Columbus and had her experience first hand. We placed our order at the store, after that drive. Arrived November 2014.

Absolutely delighted with that call. We've driven all over the eastern US.

------

Today she drives a bright red Model 3, and I'm running a new S. Building up to our present position, we sold a bunch of AAPL and all the Google to buy more TSLA. Threw in some solar and wind, and more TSLA.

Pretty comfy now, mostly interested in what the future holds: Semi and FSD...

My first real job after college was with Fidelity (pre Peter Lynch; although I adhere to the concept of buy what you know or what you like) where I learned about business. And computers. I was doing back office work and interfacing with an IBM 370 system. Meant thinking logically and systematically. Shortly after leaving Boston for Ohio I started integrating the concepts into my new workplace- bought the newly introduced IBM personal computer for bookkeeping, only to find there was no software. Had to write my own package. My fledgling investments as a rookie? Texas Instruments, Compaq Computer, Digital Equipment. Profits from Microsoft funded my house down payment and my daughter's college and post-graduate tuitions.

But this is about EVs.
A friend of mine pulled the engine out of a Mustang and put in batteries and an electric motor. I'm no EE, so I wanted to buy something like that. Tried to sign up for an experimental electric Mini, but the program only entertained folks living on the east or west coast. This would be 2012 or 2013. (About the same time that I encountered this forum.) Looked at the Mitsubishi iMiEV- terrible range and $36K. Asked my local Chevy dealer if he could get an electric Spark. That could only be sold to a resident of California or Oregon. Striking out everywhere.

[In the meantime, July 2013, bought my first lot of TSLA].

Finally, in 2014 some good news: a test drive of the Model S in Columbus, and it easily met my expectations. Two weeks later, I took my wife to Columbus and had her experience first hand. We placed our order at the store, after that drive. Arrived November 2014.

Absolutely delighted with that call. We've driven all over the eastern US.

------

Today she drives a bright red Model 3, and I'm running a new S. Building up to our present position, we sold a bunch of AAPL and all the Google to buy more TSLA. Threw in some solar and wind, and more TSLA.

Pretty comfy now, mostly interested in what the future holds: Semi and FSD...

Before I became an electrician, I worked as a field service engineer in the IBM mainframe world, and prior to IBM Univac computers. For myself, that front row seat to the evolution of technology prepared me well for Tesla.
From time to time, I’ve heard snarky comments aimed at boomers; I always argue that boomers have far greater experience — witnessing change.

• Informative
Reactions: 1101011 and AZRI11
I'm not in at all yet as my 401k is all tied up in Fidelity and work doesn't allow for individual stock investing. Guess I've got to put any extra cash into an etrade (does that still exist?) and buy a few shares at a time. Good news, my 401k is up 52% this year due to my position in my former company.

I'm usually on the outside looking in on opportunities like TSLA. It's fun to be on the inside for once.
I would be on the outside looking in if not for :
1) My wife asking about Tesla cars back in Nov 2018
2) Me researching the car
3) Me buying M3 Dec 2018
4) Me finding this thread April 2019
5) Me investing starting in May 2019
6) Me very happy Nov 2020

Reactions: JimS