Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Supercharger speeds should I be receiving?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I used a Supercharger for the first time after 4 months of ownership last weekend. It started at 150kw and then tapered a bit. I was impressed as I charged for 19 minutes and got plenty of range to get home. They charged per minute instead of per kw so the rate was really reasonable about 12 cents per kw. This was in Grand Rapids Michigan.
m3charge.jpg

Reactions: Tam
Tips:
  1. Help ensure the battery is warm by selecting the SC on the nav, which will turn on On-Route Battery Warmup
  2. Charge when the ambient temperature is not hot (cooler is better)
  3. Charge on a stall that hasn't been recently preheated by a previous car (admittedly, this is hard to tell, see #5)
  4. Don't use a shared stall at a V2 station
  5. Try another stall

Thank you, Zoom. We also have a 2014 S85 that we purchased new. I have Supercharged that car probably 300 times on many road trips, so I am quite familiar with #4. Regarding number 5, well, around here anyway, multiple unpaired stalls are not common throughout much of the day. Moving to a new stall is just using the guess-o-meter to see whether the paired car is deep into the taper or still pulling 100+kW. I am unclear about #1. I know where the Supercharger is and I loathe using navigation, especially when I know where I am going. About #2, guess I will try charging around 3AM when the temperatures are in the 70s. (Not!) :)

I wish to thank those who have shared their rates. I guess I will have to let the battery deplete to around 30%, and then drive for 30 minutes out and about and try to plug in when the weather is not too hot to see what rate the car pulls.

If the problem is with the user, then again, thanks to all. If the problem is with the Supercharger location, I have no way of knowing. If the problem is with the car, I guess we are just SOL. Tesla does not do well with these sorts of problems. The touchscreen does not show the surrounding vehicles or the speed limit signs when out. The headlights are on during the day too. They are aware of this situation. Their company line is, "The next software update should fix those issues." Fifteen updates later, still zip.

Oh, to the inquiring mind, the battery was replaced because there was an issue with charging--I could not charge at 120/15; 120/20; 240/40 or Supercharge.

I am unclear about #1. I know where the Supercharger is and I loathe using navigation, especially when I know where I am going.

Ya, me too, but I use it and mute the navigation in the settings (and only unmute it if I don’t know where I’m going) because I still want other optional features associated with the nav, like the energy trip chart, arrival time and % estimate, and the battery preconditioning if I’m going to a SC, or the car wants me to go there on a longer trip. Also if traffic problems crop up I might notice a weird route (in the nav that I’m not actually “using”, so I might not notice too :)) and follow the detour to avoid traffic.

The car remembers the mute settings and stays quiet for nav until I tell it it can talk :)

If the problem is with the car, I guess we are just SOL. Tesla does not do well with these sorts of problems. The touchscreen does not show the surrounding vehicles or the speed limit signs when out. The headlights are on during the day too. They are aware of this situation. Their company line is, "The next software update should fix those issues." Fifteen updates later, still zip.

I dunno. Persist. Take it to them for a demo, ask them to check remotely.

Oh, to the inquiring mind, the battery was replaced because there was an issue with charging--I could not charge at 120/15; 120/20; 240/40 or Supercharge.

Seems like you still can’t quite supercharge properly ... maybe some related off-pack issue? I’d insist they look into it remotely at least.

If I put a supercharger as the nav destination in my model 3 it shows a note saying it is preparing the battery to charge. No such note in my model X

Is this the same for you all?
Yes—That’s the indication that On-Route Battery Warmup is activity working. You can swipe left to make it smaller but it’s won’t go away until the battery is warmed up.

If I put a supercharger as the nav destination in my model 3 it shows a note saying it is preparing the battery to charge. No such note in my model X

Is this the same for you all?
I’ve always set Tesla Superchargers as a destination on longer trips of 100 miles or more (SR+) and I still haven’t seen a battery warm up message yet, could be that my battery has already reached that temp. Don’t also see the 25% faster charge rate either. I might see 60kw then it drops off to like 38kw.

Fred

I’ve always set Tesla Superchargers as a destination on longer trips of 100 miles or more (SR+) and I still haven’t seen a battery warm up message yet, could be that my battery has already reached that temp. Don’t also see the 25% faster charge rate either. I might see 60kw then it drops off to like 38kw.

Sounds like you are supercharging from a high start SoC%? Like well over 50%?

Or something’s wrong ... you should be able to see up to 100kW with an SR+ starting from lower SoC.