Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What the Frunk? Opened while Driving (2019.8.3) - Front Trunk Unlatched

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

GolanB

Supporting Member
Sep 22, 2018
NYC
In my first drive after updating to 2019.8.3 I got the following pop-up while driving. I thought it might have been in error, but I pulled over and sure enough the Frunk was indeed open. This is the first time I've seen this issue in six months driving the Model 3. Some other folks reported this on the main Tesla forums on an earlier software release. The possibility that it would be related to software makes no sense to me at all.

On the off chance, has anyone seen any similar behavior?

IMG_4716.jpeg

In my first drive after updating to 2019.8.3 I got the following pop-up while driving. I thought it might have been in error, but I pulled over and sure enough the Frunk was indeed open. This is the first time I've seen this issue in six months driving the Model 3. Some other folks reported this on the main Tesla forums on an earlier software release. The possibility that it would be related to software makes no sense to me at all.

View attachment 390957
No but it is not that hard to accidentally open on the app, FOB or on the car. A downside of touch screens.

View attachment 390957

...have you had your car in for service? When I took mine in for a tire rotation, OCT2018 delivery, they said there was work that needed to be done on the frunk latch. I think there may be a service advisory on this, at least for some cars.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
No but it is not that hard to accidentally open on the app, FOB or on the car. A downside of touch screens.

In my case, No Fob, No other user in the App, no contact with the Touch Screen. Last week I also invalidated all of the API keys on the account by changing the Tesla password, and did not log in to any 3rd party Apps. Its a mystery.

It does need a double tap. But if the app if open on a phone without a lock screen, could happen.

As for the struts, I would assume (lol) the frunk would be on the ‘second’ lock when opened in motion. Not so? (My X locks it again when popped after a few seconds, not shut, but still locked. Will need to test this on the 3.)

...have you had your car in for service? When I took mine in for a tire rotation, OCT2018 delivery, they said there was work that needed to be done on the frunk latch. I think there may be a service advisory on this, at least for some cars.

I've had the service team come out in the past, but it had nothing to do with the car, but on integrating with our garage sensors. On one other occasion, I opened a service case because I thought that I might have had a faulty charge port, but they called me back and said my car had no recall data, so we closed the service request. I may schedule a service, but I'm a bit hesitant to do it on a single occurance.

It does need a double tap. But if the app if open on a phone without a lock screen, could happen.

As for the struts, I would assume (lol) the frunk would be on the ‘second’ lock when opened in motion. Not so? (My X locks it again when popped after a few seconds, not shut, but still locked. Will need to test this on the 3.)

In my case, I have iPhone safety features enabled. Not only is the screen locked, but I have to tell my iPhone I'm not driving before it will unlock. I rarely have the Tesla App open, and it was not running at the time.

If it is related to something I have done, it may have been testing performance acceleration and braking with this update. I'm more inclined to think that something mechanical slipped here and I'm wondering if the front trunks may be prone to unlatching.

In my case, I have iPhone safety features enabled. Not only is the screen locked, but I have to tell my iPhone I'm not driving before it will unlock. I rarely have the Tesla App open, and it was not running at the time.

If it is related to something I have done, it may have been testing performance acceleration and braking with this update. I'm more inclined to think that something mechanical slipped here and I'm wondering if the front trunks may be prone to unlatching.
Never had an issue with our 3 but that’s a sample of one, of course.... you wouldn’t think the frunk lid/latch could/would move that much to slip.

Assume there wasn’t any cargo that could press the internal release? Does that work while in motion?

Can confirm. Had a service bulletin on my 74XXX VIN P3D to shim the hood so that the frunk latched better.

Can’t say I recall reading on here of others ever seeing this screen and I’d remember if I saw this screen myself. People who can’t open their latches as they were stuck part way, yes; but you said your frunk was actually open and their frunks couldn’t be opened. Had you recently taken anything out of your frunk and maybe not closed it all the way? I know Tesla does warn in the manual about making sure its firmly closed and to test it after closing by trying to lift up on the edges, ensuring that it doesn’t fly up while driving.

You should ask them to check your logs for you remotely. It really is a safety issue should the hood go flying up while driving. You can more or less pinpoint when you saw the alert even if you didn’t file a bug report.

Last edited:
I have the stronger struts so my frunk auto opens. I have also had the latch update done while in for service because one of my doors was out of alignment. I thought they might say something about the struts but they didn’t even mention it. Just said there was an update on the latch and It’s all taken care of. OP should get the service done.

• Informative
I have the stronger struts so my frunk auto opens. I have also had the latch update done while in for service because one of my doors was out of alignment. I thought they might say something about the struts but they didn’t even mention it. Just said there was an update on the latch and It’s all taken care of. OP should get the service done.

Can you describe your door alignment issue and the resulting fix? Just cosmetic or functional? Two of my doors could be better aligned for cosmetics and wondering if the SC will do that or blow it off?

Can you describe your door alignment issue and the resulting fix? Just cosmetic or functional? Two of my doors could be better aligned for cosmetics and wondering if the SC will do that or blow it off?
It was mainly cosmetic, my rear door was always a little ajar even when closed properly. It was annoying because people would reopen it and slam it. They fixed it right up, no problem.

Is it possible that cargo shifted in your trunk while testing the braking and pushed the release button on the inside front wall?

Reactions: GolanB
Does everyone’s car have a secondary catch to keep the hood from flying open if the hood is unlatched while driving ?
My October build doesn’t have one if I remember and a P3D I looked at built in December did have a secondary catch.
Maybe I’m mistaken , pretty important device I wou”d think.

Is it possible that cargo shifted in your trunk while testing the braking and pushed the release button on the inside front wall?

This conclusion you've proposed (as well as some of the others on the thread) is the most logical explanation for what happened. It occurred to me as a possibility and it's making me think I should get an organizer in the Frunk to keep things from shifting around while driving. Have a look at the photo below, it will make you chuckle! I'd say the mystery is solved and silly on me!

The emergency release button is critical, but it seems like it could be better positioned. Tesla probably has stats on how many cars are in a drive state while the internal release mechanism is triggered. These kinds of occurrences are probably always preceded by hard braking.

Screen Shot 2019-03-29 at 10.08.43 AM.png