Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Was THAT All About?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems Tesla Motors Club was up and down all day. Occasional database errors, but usually just no response.

Perhaps too much load related to Martin leaving Tesla and AutoBlog posting a link?

(I've got some great conspiracy theories, but it would be inappropriate to share them).

Oh believe me, the forum and database software can handle far greater. But I suspect the database server was probably not sized for that kind of load. Plus, the number on-line is the number of registered users. How many curiosity seekers followed the link in AutoblogGreen just to browse? And if the forum and database are running on the same server, that could cause real performance issues.

Most registered users was today? That seems to support the theory that load crashed the site. Martin should be flattered.

We are investigating what exactly happened.
As of now we do not believe that the server overloaded.
It should be able to handle more than this.

It might have something to do with some hackers.
Hopefully I'll know soon exactly what happend.

Keep in mind that this site was taken down twice before.
Both times seemed to coincide (possibly coincidentally) with news events coming out of Tesla.
At least this time it was just sluggish behavior, not a "defacement".

Keep in mind that this site was taken down twice before.
Both times seemed to coincide (possibly coincidentally) with news events coming out of Tesla.
At least this time it was just sluggish behavior, not a "defacement".

See, I didn't want to go there. But it seems about the time we start bad mouthing Tesla's leadership, the site gets crunched. I am firmly convinced it is a coincidence brought on by the interest in Tesla's "shake up". But, boy, it makes for good conspiracy theory, doesn't it?

This is only a guess, but I'd say a bad router somewhere could easily explain the outage. It's not that uncommon, and it's sometimes hard to diagnose because it's not happening on the server end, it's not happening on the client end, it's happening somewhere along the way in-between.

ROFL

I know the membership has leapt up recently, but I can't see that (up until the weekend) roughly 40 guys and gals batting ideas around poses much of a corporate threat to a gen-u-whine thrillionaire.

No, but it only takes one person who has some script kiddy skills, and doesn't like something that was written to make a mess of things.

Or maybe someone mis-configured a DNS record by mistake somewhere.

Nope. I've been watching it and the site begins by taking database errors. No error code, just standard vBulletin text about try again later and the administrators have been notified. Then after about 30 seconds of errors, the site stops responding for about five minutes. My hunch is we've got a corrupted table.

There are some database maintenance routines on the bottom of the vBulletin Admin Console nav bar. You might start with those. If you've got access to the database server, the MySQL Administrator also has some table maintenance routines when you select the vBulletin catalog.

Just a hunch, but it's a place to start.