Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What, what!? $850 for annual service!?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tinm

2020 Model S LR+ Owner
May 3, 2015
New Mexico, USA
A friend of mine who also owns a Model S that's about as old as mine and is also on the Extended Service Warranty happened to mention in passing today that he contacted Tesla to schedule an annual service for his car, and they told him it would cost $850.

Eight hundred and fifty dollars!?

Since when? Did Tesla raise prices? Has anyone else heard this?

I thought it was $400 for certain years, and $600 for the other years.

No way am I going to pay $850 for the little work they do on the car, especially after I paid what, $4500 for the extended service warranty.

Would love to hear from others on this. Am hoping my friend (or Tesla... wouldn't be a surprise) was misinformed.

One of the big promises of EVs is low maintenance. i have not paid ANY maintenance costs to Nissan on my 7 yr old Leaf. Replaced tires twice and the 12 v battery once. Warranty replacements include the traction battery (widely known issue with the original car) and the onboard charger (diode failure).

The Tesla maintenance table is simplistic enough and $850 for year 4 seems like they want to compete with BMW & MB. My MS is getting close to the end of warranty (see sig), skipped maintenance service years 1 through 3 and has behaved flawlessly. Just got the multi-point inspection once.

it costs $1000 to change the oil in a maserati. I remember paying $850 for 30k service on my lexus ES a couple years ago at the dealer.

The thing about tesla maintenance is it is optional, so if the price bothers you dont do it.

A friend of mine who also owns a Model S that's about as old as mine and is also on the Extended Service Warranty happened to mention in passing today that he contacted Tesla to schedule an annual service for his car, and they told him it would cost $850.

Eight hundred and fifty dollars!?

Since when? Did Tesla raise prices? Has anyone else heard this?

I thought it was $400 for certain years, and $600 for the other years.

No way am I going to pay $850 for the little work they do on the car, especially after I paid what, $4500 for the extended service warranty.

Would love to hear from others on this. Am hoping my friend (or Tesla... wouldn't be a surprise) was misinformed.

Agreed. I know they check for things proactively including hardware upgrades (according to the electrek article) but not like AP1-AP2. This maintenance is a scam. I'm taking delivery soon and plan to only pay for year 2 and year 4 since brake fluid needs to be changed. I can't imagine other parts need to be changed after one year (alignment, wipers, etc). Only other "vulnerable" part are key fobs if you happen to sit or stay near the car often.

Just to confirm is the $850 for year 4 service?

I thought buy all Electric car no maintenance?? So I'm just coming up on one year old and thinking I should bite the bullet and take it in only because I had stopped by a service center and spoke with one of there advisors (I know) he suggested to at least do year 1 and year 4? I forgot why but I was surprised he even suggested only those two. The thing with service centers in So.Ca. they are so damm busy from M3 it's insane and I feel they are over worked and under staffed they really would just not be as thorough as when I purchased a year ago. Just as example friend took his MS in and was offered LYFT home and when he argued his case was offered ICE car and then finally given MS. His main complaint was not repaired when he came a week later to pick the car up as he found out when driving home from service center and turned back around and left the car for another week and they found the issue after having it a total of two weeks and in the process one of his Arachnid wheels was curbed:eek:

One of the big promises of EVs is low maintenance. i have not paid ANY maintenance costs to Nissan on my 7 yr old Leaf. Replaced tires twice and the 12 v battery once. Warranty replacements include the traction battery (widely known issue with the original car) and the onboard charger (diode failure).

The Tesla maintenance table is simplistic enough and $850 for year 4 seems like they want to compete with BMW & MB. My MS is getting close to the end of warranty (see sig), skipped maintenance service years 1 through 3 and has behaved flawlessly. Just got the multi-point inspection once.
That Leaf record pretty darn Great!! Just not real Sexy... hey but some of us don't need Sexy all the time!:D

Now with the X on order. I've been looking at the maintenance plans again. From the Electrek's old plan, they have the drive unit fluid change where as today, that is now no longer required. So, it should be cheaper to perform service than before.

serviceold.JPG

service new.JPG