Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What will the Homelink do?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had my Model 3 less than a week and I'm trying to figure out what the Homelink will/will not do. When I get in the car and start it, the garage does not automatically open, so I have to manually press the Homelink button. And since I've done that, it says that I've skipped the automatic close and I have to press the Homelink button again--I might as well just use the remote...

• Disagree
Reactions: Limit X
Homelink will Automatically Open on approach and Close when leaving only. You still need to open initially from your garage or through the UI, and close when you park in the garage through the UI or the manual button on the wall.

I always hit the button on the garage wall, as I enter. Then Homelink closes the door as I drive away. Similarly, when I drive up, Homelink opens the door, but I close it by pushing the button on the wall as I leave the garage. I find that to be the most natural way to use the system. YMMV, of course.
That's how we always do it and it's probably the safer way of doing it. Others tried setting it up to automatically open before leaving or automatically close after returning but ended up hitting the garage door.

• Informative
Reactions: TT97
Also, there are several pages of the owners manual that explain how to program and use Homelink.....
Fortunately, we've never had a problem programming ours. We programmed 3 garage doors into the new X last night in just a couple minutes. All we had to do was have someone hold the remote in front of the car and push the corresponding button while someone else tapped Continue a few times on the car's screen. It worked fine for us every time we programmed ours over the past three years.

The only time we did have a problem was a couple years ago when a neighbor came home at the same time we were programming. We noticed for a couple days afterwards that whenever she opened her garage, ours would open too. Once we reprogrammed them, everything worked fine.