Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What would a rear bumper fix cost ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wondering what could a rear bumper replacement cost. It was a slow parking lot impact while backing out and caused a crack in the bumper.
Are there any special parts in that mid area of the bumper that would need fixing (electronics, etc) ?

IMG_0319 2.jpg

No special parts. Would require a new bumper cover, paint and blend to trunk and quarter panels. Typical is about $2500 to $3500 depending on where you go, parts available and what paint system they use. That said, you might find someone that would do a plastic repair of the bumper for a whole lot cheaper and probably would hold up pretty good as long as they used quality paint. I'd shop around.

Upvote 0
I think Falcon's estimation is about right. The bumper cover itself is about 850 dollars then add in removal, prep, paint, reinstallation then I think the OP would be looking at about 2500 dollars. I have had my rear bumper cover off before and I can't see any electrical equipment at that location, under the actual bumper. IMO, the OP could probably get away with a 90% fix using a plastic repair at a good body shop with Tesla paint at about 500 to 800 dollars. For a 100% fix I would use a Tesla shop or Tesla approved body shop. Then there are Dismantlers....

Upvote 0
Actually, I had my rear bumper replaced just last week. No accident or collision. Was in the process of having PPF re-done on my rear bumper, which was originally installed 4 years ago. When the detail shop was removing the old film, some of the paint actually began to peel off at a few areas/corners of the bumper. Not the detailer’s fault. We do not know what caused the paint to peel, but suspect either a defective paint job from Tesla or the person who originally installed the PPF 4 years ago (it was a different detail shop than the one I used this time) may have scored/trimmed some of the edges too much with a razor and cut into the paint.

No big deal, really. Stuff happens.

Anyway, I had the local certified Tesla body shop (Burleighs Body Shop) take a look and they recommended getting a new bumper, instead of sanding/repainting the existing one. They quoted me $2000 to get/paint/install a new bumper.

Now, for the big surprise. I went to my local Tesla Service Center and they quoted me $772.54 to install a new pre-painted rear bumper. Of course, I ended up having Tesla perform the work. Everything turned out great.
Attached below is the invoice from Tesla. The two numbers circled in red are the labor and material charges. Ignore the $300 adjustment. That was an existing credit I had with Tesla, so I had it applied to this invoice. Also, ignore the part description which says the bumper was unpainted. It was definitely already painted. So, the part description is not correct. Anyway, with parts & labor, the actual/normal total charge from Tesla was $772.54 to install the new bumper.

IMG_0722.jpeg

Upvote 0
Actually, I had my rear bumper replaced just last week. No accident or collision. Was in the process of having PPF re-done on my rear bumper, which was originally installed 4 years ago. When the detail shop was removing the old film, some of the paint actually began to peel off at a few areas/corners of the bumper. Not the detailer’s fault. We do not know what caused the paint to peel, but suspect either a defective paint job from Tesla or the person who originally installed the PPF 4 years ago (it was a different detail shop than the one I used this time) may have scored/trimmed some of the edges too much with a razor and cut into the paint.

No big deal, really. Stuff happens.

Anyway, I had the local certified Tesla body shop (Burleighs Body Shop) take a look and they recommended getting a new bumper, instead of sanding/repainting the existing one. They quoted me $2000 to get/paint/install a new bumper.

Now, for the big surprise. I went to my local Tesla Service Center and they quoted me $772.54 to install a new pre-painted rear bumper. Of course, I ended up having Tesla perform the work. Everything turned out great.
Attached below is the invoice from Tesla. The two numbers circled in red are the labor and material charges. Ignore the $300 adjustment. That was an existing credit I had with Tesla, so I had it applied to this invoice. Also, ignore the part description which says the bumper was unpainted. It was definitely already painted. So, the part description is not correct. Anyway, with parts & labor, the actual/normal total charge from Tesla was $772.54 to install the new bumper.

View attachment 963710
Did the color of the new bumper match your car? Tesla states that there may possibly be a mismatch after they paint the new bumper

Upvote 0
Did the color of the new bumper match your car? Tesla states that there may possibly be a mismatch after they paint the new bumper
Pre-painted bumpers are factory painted and they just grab it off the shelf. They aren't painting it every time. As such, the match tends to be fairly decent, although like all cases, there is always a potential for mismatch due to variations in how people use their cars (and thus paint fade). Some colors may be worse than others.

If there is a pre-painted option, I would choose it every time as you save a lot of money from the body shop prepping and painting a bumper.

Upvote 0
Good question. Color match was definitely a concern I had in going with the pre-painted bumper option. Fortunately in my case, I can say the color & texture on the new bumper is almost an exact match to the original paint on all other adjacent body panels. Definitely no discernible difference when looking/comparing under all lighting conditions. I’m super happy with the end result. Of course, there many factors/variables from one vehicle to another. So, your results may be different than mine.

Upvote 0
I had a similar and if Tesla has them in stock and is allowing orders, it's definitely the way to go. Body shop was 2-3x and bumper wasn't factory painted, but at first, after proving the quote of about $850, Tesla said they weren't doing the repair. 3-4 weeks later, when my body shop was about tonfree up to take it, I checked again and they said they could do it.

Upvote 0