Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What would you buy to replace one Eagle F1 Asymmetric?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got a TPMS warning and found what's shown in the attached photo. Looks to me like it's not going to be repairable because it's so close to the edge (must be 1/2" from edge to repair, right?). In looking at the websites of the local tire shops, it seems tough to find the Eagle F1 Asymmetric in stock (other posts indicate it's no longer being manufactured). The tires only have about 7k miles on them - it's not time to replace all 4. Any suggestions for a good replacement if I can't find the Eagle F1 Asymmetric OEM tire (255/40/20)?

Thanks!
Marc

IMG_8502.jpeg

Personally, I'd have the tire plugged at a tire shop. If they told me it was too close for an internal plug, I'd use an external plug (the kit you can use without dismounting the tire - preferably one that uses rubber cement).

I've used these plugs for roadside repairs, including on my MY with no issue. Just make sure you follow the instructions, including trimming the plug flush with the tire. Now that spare tires aren't included with many vehicles, I keep a plug kit, diagonal cutters, and a pump in all of my cars to deal with this on the road.

Reactions: Pianewman
Agree with MY-Y. I've plugged tires with punctures very near to where yours is located. After plugging, monitor closely for pressure, and it's possible the plug will last until the tire is worn out.
Are there risks of catastrophic failure? The odds are very low, in my opinion (and with my 1.5 million miles of driving experience!)

I hope you weren't thinking you could replace just ONE tire, though? That isn't a good idea, although it depends on the worn tread depth. The title of this thread isn't clear.

Good luck.

Reactions: CaseyL
Take your Tesla Model Y to the closest Discount Tire / America's Tires and purchase a new tire or tires depending on the remaining tread depth of the remaining tires. Purchase the Discount Tire certificate and in the future you will not have to pay for a replacement should the tire need to be replaced over the expected lifetime of the tire.

Thanks for the replies! I can get the plug kit mentioned by MY-Y and Pianwman at the local Home Depot, but I don't have a jack...that would be a good investment for next time. My plan was exactly what jcanoe suggested, but after a bunch of phone calls, I'd have to drive an hour each direction because only one store in our area has the tire. So, I'm at the local Tesla service center, 5 mins from work, and will overpay for them to either repair or replace the tire (or two of them depending on tread measurements). The extra $ in this case is worth the saved time.