Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's the best way to secure a laptop plus other valuables in the car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Basically, don't keep valuable stuff in your car. Also don't take your car to the SF Bay Area. That's the best advice. ;)

We’ve had our small triangular window broken into already to flip the seat to peer in under the parcel shelf (nothing back there) so are sensitive to the crime. Tourists in San Francisco are probably the most targeted group from what I understand.
What's going on in SF?
The Scanner: San Francisco ranks No. 1 in US in property crime

• Informative
Reactions: Akikiki
Been tops for last few years. Surprised there aren’t travel advisories warning people about traveling to San Francisco and bay area. Long story and mentioned in “car break in” threads here for a while. Now a misdemeanor thanks to legislature so low priority, cops too busy, understaffed, no money for enforcement, more serious crimes to prosecute, jails are full. Has received periodic tv news reports and coverage in press. Occasionally a sting here or there. Rounded up a ring in Fremont last year that was shipping stolen goods to southeast Asia as I recall.

Ah, some northern/southern Calif. rivalry going on here I see. Some people prefer to have a more temperate climate with cooler nights and we do have Mavericks let’s not forget! Don’t know exactly the answer to your question unless your cities have a larger police presence or have fewer calls to respond to. Maybe criminals down there go after higher value crimes to carry out like stealing the entire car, and maybe the perps up here are less interested in being featured on tv in a helicopter chase LOL; but I see what your question was getting at. Happy to send some of the activity your way though :D.

OK I am jealous of the many varieties of tropical palms you have down there. But we do have cleaner air. None of which I am sure matters to the guys breaking into cars.

Last edited:
Prop 47 applies to all of CA, why is SF number 1? What makes you guys up there so special? It sure isn't the weather or beaches.

It's all us intellectuals. And don't knock the beaches. It took us years to figure out how to keep the tourists off of them.

I live one hundred miles straight north of SF. We've had roughly ten months of blue skies and moderate temperatures, and just got our first rain of the "rainy season". Green and golden.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
When travelling I leave most of my photo gear at home. As challenge I attach one lens to my Leica M and carry the camera on a strap under my jacket. I avoid looking like a tourist and I compose the shots differently knowing that I only have that one lens. The laptop stays at home too as an iPhone and hotel WiFi are sufficient to stay in contact if that is even necessary.

Try a trip with less equipment and you may enjoy the time with your family more.

Reactions: CalBlue 85D
There's another thread on TMC about SF bay break-ins. I was thinking about the trunk monkey when I posted in that other thread that I was expecting to hear someone report that they had pulled into that same parking lot and parked an S loaded with someone with a baseball bat in the trunk. Then when the glass is broken the Hulk pops out and (Ta-Daaaa) fixes the break in problem permanently for everyone.

When travelling I leave most of my photo gear at home. As challenge I attach one lens to my Leica M and carry the camera on a strap under my jacket. I avoid looking like a tourist and I compose the shots differently knowing that I only have that one lens. The laptop stays at home too as an iPhone and hotel WiFi are sufficient to stay in contact if that is even necessary.

Try a trip with less equipment and you may enjoy the time with your family more.

Wait, what's the point in leaving photo gear at home? Finally invested in full frame lenses and an A7RIII and they need to see the world! :)

I can't leave my "toy bag" at home...:p

Couple hinges and a cam lock on the false floor cover sounds like a good solution. Unless the perp has a crow bar can’t lift the cover with bare hands that way. Most of the time it’s a grab and go on short stops. Bring your stuff with you if parking overnight

Wonder if something like this would work...
Screen Shot 2018-12-02 at 06.51.54.png

Yes, instantly tweet to Musk: "Daimler says there's your glider, mate!"

Last edited:
I’ve always considered the path of least hassle and followed that in most cases.

There’s a lot less hassle involved in carrying your gear with you, relative to the hassle of replacing all the parts and pieces, fighting insurance companies, maintaining current inventory lists, and on and on.

Wait, what's the point in leaving photo gear at home? Finally invested in full frame lenses and an A7RIII and they need to see the world! :)

I can't leave my "toy bag" at home...:p

I was like you with a passion for photography. In those days I had prime lenses instead of the trend today to zoom so my kit was big and cumbersome on trips. I also found that scheduling of stops got in the way of photography in order to arrive at the best places with time of day lighting angle just perfect. Landscape scenes ended up being noon time shots and portraiture (i did that while traveling) meant set up and take down of main and fill lighting. These ventures were not wasted but for normal travel I found that modern phones are handy and just as good.

When we travel now my wife takes her small Leica for documenting the trip and I use my iPhone when I see an interesting scene. Consider again why you need to take all of your top end equipment on a road trip. It's much more relaxing to enjoy the adventure without the burden of camera equipment. Lighting angle makes great pictures out of snap shots and the timing is very short to capture a great image which is why a camera in your pocket really does work best, in my experience.

My thoughts for your consideration.

I have a car topper and lock my stuff in there. It works and is harder to break into unnoticed. But I also have insurance. You cant make it impossible to steal, you just have to make it harder to steal than the other guys who parked next to you.