Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's the going rate to wrap a Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just curious what the going rate is to wrap a Model S and how long the process usually takes. is this something where you can take the car to get the job done in the morning, wait all day, and drive the car back home afterwards? I'd really not prefer to leave the car overnight with anyone.

It seems XPel is the best option?

If anyone has any recommendations for a place that has lots of experience working with Teslas in the Washington DC with reasonable prices, please let me know.

Anyone have any recommendations for a good interior and exterior detailer in the Washington DC area that also installed PPF?

Would like someone super competent and careful where I can see them do the work without having to drop off the car and pick up later.

Anyone who has had PPF installed recently, what was your cost?

I’d recommend calling Darryl at Odds and Ends Detailing. He doesn’t do them himself but he was my detailer for years when I lived there and he arranged to have my Lotus film applied right in his shop in Sterling, VA. My close friend still uses him all the time.

• Helpful
Reactions: DCEV
Prices are very regional, so you may get more accurate results asking in the forum for your region.

Be sure you are comparing equivalent installation methods not just comparing price. Some installations wrap the film around the edges of body panels and some just put a piece up close to the edge on the top surface. Don't go by just price.

• Helpful
Reactions: outdoors
I’ve had two Tesla MS 100Ds fully wrapped with XPel Ultimate for around $4,500 each. The stuff is great. It’s already saved me from a very expensive front fender repair, and in doing so, come close to paying for itself for one of the cars. I can recommend a place in South Florida that did the full wraps and full chrome deletes but I can't help you with DC. You do have to leave the car overnight at the shop for the film to dry, and if it’s raining you may need to wait an extra day. Make sure the the shop has super clean air inside and knows what they are doing. You don’t want dust or other junk trapped under the film forever. One sign that a shop is good is that they have a handful of exotics in getting wrapped and can show you long history of wrapping exotics.

Last edited:
Depends on how much coverage you want, and your location.
Its best to call around and ask.
There is like 3 typical options, and also what PPF they use.

Stealth series which matte's out your car is a bit more expensive, then there is non XPEL brands like Suntek, and others which are cheaper.

Most important tho, is ask how many they install each month.
Ask how many Tesla's they have done.
(my installer here said his place looked like a tesla pickup warehouse at one point with that many Model S / X's that was getting PPF. and even had pictures to show)
Ask if they do precut or if its a full custom job.
Ask how they do edges and corners.
Ask to see samples, and if its a location, go there and see how many cars are getting it done.

Do not trust any installers, a botched job at PPF is complete HEADACHE to fix.

But i paid roughly $7500 for Xpel Ultimate + CQuartz 10yr for full coverage, which means every inch which has paint.

Last bit of advice, if you do go XPEL, make sure the person applying is XPEL certified and licensed.
This way if you start seeing it peel, or have issues with it, they will take care of it right away. Otherwise they will try to point fingers at you saying its your fault, and refuse to replace it, because only certified installers can file a claim with XPEL if the PPF is faulty.

• Helpful
Reactions: T3SLAUNCHED
This all seems quite involved and expensive! I'm thinking it is better to just pay for a body shop to touch up and fix any paint blemishes every 2-3 years for as long as I own the car and that would still be cheaper...

I'm thinking maybe I should just have PPF installed on the front fender, hood, and side view mirrors, and perhaps the rear bumper top part where items being loaded into the car may touch and leave it at that...

Last edited:
This all seems quite involved and expensive! I'm thinking it is better to just pay for a body shop to touch up and fix any paint blemishes every 2-3 years for as long as I own the car and that would still be cheaper...

I'm thinking maybe I should just have PPF installed on the front fender, hood, and side view mirrors, and perhaps the rear bumper top part where items being loaded into the car may touch and leave it at that...

That’s what I just had done to my MS, except I included both front quarter panels.

Reactions: r1200gs4ok

This seems like a great idea until you find out it costs $3,500 to repaint a bumper. I know from experience!

https://www.aapaintprotection.com/ in Rockville

Did not put any PPF on my 1st MS. Regretted it within 6 months after starting to see paint chips. For second, I opted for front-end with ceramic paint protection on that and on the rest of the car. Has saved me several times; love touches from other cars, once exiting a driveway that was steeper than it appeared. Cheaper to repace film than paint.

Brett Miller has done many Teslas. Meticulous, high quality, professional. Great guy. Don’t temember what I paid. Think the film was Suntek. He does lots of XPEL as well.

• Informative
Reactions: DCEV
Just had mine done in Southwest Florida by First Impressions/Tesla Design Studio. Sarasota and Tampa respectively (same owner) SunTek Ultra Clear Bra PPF ( full front end, rear bumper, rocker panels), Gtechniq Crystal Serum Ultra application and Xpel Prime window film - $3550.

https://www.aapaintprotection.com/ in Rockville

Did not put any PPF on my 1st MS. Regretted it within 6 months after starting to see paint chips. For second, I opted for front-end with ceramic paint protection on that and on the rest of the car. Has saved me several times; love touches from other cars, once exiting a driveway that was steeper than it appeared. Cheaper to repace film than paint.

Brett Miller has done many Teslas. Meticulous, high quality, professional. Great guy. Don’t temember what I paid. Think the film was Suntek. He does lots of XPEL as well.

I just came here to ask if anyone had used All American Paint Protection and I was happy to see your post, so I will give them a try! For PPF, are SunTek and XPEL basically the same or is one better than the other?